Notre Dame cathedral

Breaking news, Notre Dame is on fire.

Yes indeed just seen this come in on news feed, looks bad to so hope they manage to get it under control quickly. It’s such an iconic building.

I believe renovation works were in progress.

Absolutely.
Such an important part of the history and life of Paris and France.

Oh! no just seen it on the news the entire central transept is ablaze right above the great rose window. It’s looks devastating! :cry:

All those old timbers. It’s going to be hard to put out, I say timber, I think it’s stone or plaster.

It doesn’t look good, it could take decades to rebuild, and given the recent appeal for urgent funds for the crumbling stonework it could collapse with the heat. So sad.

Oh my God! Just seen a live video the whole roof is ablaze including the pinnacle tower. I fear the whole roof will be lost looking at the blaze. Devastating news.

1 Like

It looks like it could be gutted.

How often do you see old buildings being restored that catch fire? They need to consult with the architects and builders that restrred York Minstter after their disastrous fire. It did take a long time to restore though.

Horrible to watch, don’t know how they can save it. One of the symbols of Paris and France and much loved ! :frowning_face:

1 Like

The central tower has just collapsed and the curved ladies chapel roof at the east end of the cathedral above the Choir stalls is now completely ablaze I fear the cathedral roof and it’s contents will lost looking at the extent of this fire. 850 years of history lost. It’s horrible to watch. It reminds me of when Windsor Castle and Hampton Court went up in flames. So so sad.

Dreadful, monstrous events like this chill the heart and strike one almost dumb. How could it happen after so many centuries of being there?

Even rebuilding it (if that’s possible) would seem futile to some, the history will have been erased and can’t be reproduced in facsimile. It’s hard to understand how fire-fighting measures were unable to bring the fire under control. Poor Paris will never be quite the same again. Only consolation is no reported deaths.

1 Like

I’ve been out all day, just put the news on - devastating fire, whole roof has collapsed. Very sad…

I’m watching this open-mouthed. It’s so hard to comprehend.

Thankfully no reported deaths or injuries.

Seeing the tiny figures of the sapeurs-pompiers against the huge cathedral facade, their extension ladders dwarfed by its size, high volume hoses producing what looked like puny trickles, one can only wonder how they did manage to subdue the blaze at all.

Mark it only started around 2 and a half hours ago, it’s happened so fast.

Dreadful, scary that something so significant can just burn

Peter I don’t think they have subdued it it’s just the roof has collapsed into the nave. I think the interior is burning out of control. They are showing now that one of the stone towers is alight inside. I am so concerned that the scaffolding is going to collapse and take out the nave. I fear the great rose window will be lost to.

1 Like