Now With No Added Sugar?

It’s usually compotes you see with sans sucres ajoutés, I don’t know about other things because I don’t buy eg fizzy drinks, packet food etc

Do they mean nature?
I look through the bumph that arrives and if it is on special offer and on my list I will more than likely choose to go that supermarket in preference to others.
I think that it is obviously marketing jargon meant to appeal to those with nothing between their ears.

Nature is just no added fruit or flavouring or sugar, but you can get yaourt nature sucré or sans sucre, so the nature just means no flavours etc.

I’m waiting for a label telling me there’s no added sweetener. If I know there’s sugar, I’ll eat it rarely, but if they add sugar-substitutes which leave an unpleasant after-taste, like in Diet Coke, then I can’t use that product. “No added sugar” makes me check what’s in it instead of sugar, and only erythritol tastes OK, I avoid saccharin and aspartame. My husband can’t taste the sweeteners which I loathe, which is odd.

I loathe all those fake sugar etc products. They taste vile ( I think some people don’t taste them at all, it probably works like that bitterness detecting gene which makes some people hate crucifers etc).

Awwww save me from compotes!! Vile, baby-food-like, liquidised gunk - yuk! No doubt produced by the almighty Danone!

I have had a baby staying chez moi for 3 months, you wouldn’t believe the amount of compote those creatures get through. Materne is the favoured brand. (my pacsé loves them too, if he were English I expect he’d be keen on sago with jam etc, nursery food, ugh).

1 Like

mine have grown up on them, I’m a convert - they’re a good quick fix on and off the bike. OH with our youngest in tow was sooo stressed out when we couldn’t find any in the UK :smiley:

Slimy yoghurt works for me. Gloopy tapioca too, :stuck_out_tongue:

I have no interest in joining the grammatical debate on added sugar but am reminded of the old song Yes, We Have No Bananas. Sorry.

3 Likes

Today i made a cake with fruit in, having its own natural sugars i added none other. Or is that no other?

I find that with cereals. They all seem to have honey, chocolate or dried fruits added, nothing plain and wholesome. I am not keen on cornflakes and that seems to be all there is.

try Jordans Muesli

I do eat museli but with nuts but I like to mix it with another cereal otherwise I would be all day eating just museli. Just received a couple of boxes of Shreddies so am happy for a few weeks.

On another cereal, I tried to find some Weetabix for my diabetic sister when she came to visit recently but had no luck yet I used to be able to buy it in the local supermarkets.

If you go to Biocoop or La Vie Claire (or similar) you can buy the type of oats, dried fruit and nuts you prefer (they sell them loose by weight) and then make your own mixture.

2 Likes

not from the Cox family in Plymouth or Cornwall are ou ???

Generally seen on product labeling for something containing fruit which already has natural sugar.

'Fraid not Phillip although father-in-law lived there for many years. Origins as far as I have researched back are in Oxfordshire.

Thanks Véronique but I am happy with the museli I buy as I only eat a small amount of it each day but add some other cereal with it. I now use Special K nature as it seems that Lidl have stopped stocking the Blé and Riz cereal I used to buy. They still do it with chocolate and red fruits though. I hate chocolate with cereals as it always so hard and tasteless. It’s cereal like, Shreddies and Cheerios that are basic grains with no added sugar products. Don’t like Weetabix either as that is too mushy. Roll on the autumn and back to porridge oats with home produced honey in moderation.

How did french grammar get to cereal.
Like the media all over again. :joy: