Offer accepted - the admin fun begins! Advice?

…another tip we wished we had know was when you get a lttle plaque made for your letter box, make sure its got both your names on and clearly shows your maiden name. Twice now important letters to my wife have not been delivered because they were addressed to her maiden name… and tip 2 have all your services in joint names. You never know when you might both need to show residency.

2 Likes

Thanks Emma. It’s going to be a lot of work, but worth it in the end. Despite some design flaws, the house is lovely and the area beautiful. It was great getting up this morning and looking across the misty valley at the rising sun.

Following up @captainendeavour comments about documents, we left our attestation of purchase behind this trip. I had planned to take a lot of stuff to the dechetterie, but they require the attestation as proof of living in the area (along with car registration document - carte gris - which I did bring). 2 small kitchen range cookers and an electric oven are now going to be stored in our cellars until next trip.

We will also be making a name plate for the mailbox. :stuck_out_tongue::roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve never had one, been well over 5 years now :see_no_evil::laughing: Met the postie early on and introduced myself and that was enough, he sees me occasionally walking the dog on the other side of the village and yells my name and passes me the post through the van window so I think I’m pretty infamous at this point, even when my absent minded mother sends things and forgets to put my name or half the address on things there’s never an issue having no name on the box. Helps that unlike you @Ancient_Mariner I’m here every day though I guess.

4 Likes

We have one replacement postie who complains that our box is not “au normes”, but all the regulars are fine with our home made box and wobbly hand painted names. And go the extra mile to make sure we get stuff. A while back we went away for three weeks and forgot to lock front door :scream:. We came back to find a large parcel in the front hall, postie didn’t want to leave it outside in the rain! A great advantage of of living in a teeny tiny place.

6 Likes

I had similar myself and found it so adorable! He delivered some books, well, was going to, and knew we were away for a few more days so kept hold of them, (in his van, at home, I’ve no idea and french post men and women seem to have more power and authority than the government and army put together so I didn’t ask lol) and delivered them the first day when we were back saying they’d had thunderstorms so he didn’t want to put them in the box in case they were ruined, which was lovely!

4 Likes

We bribe the postie and the bin men every Xmas. Xmas card and 10 bucks for each. Reaches parts Guinness doesnt.

4 Likes

Everyone - everyone - but me has a trailer. :confused:… I can’t.

Nowhere to park it. Next door has a double garage+ under their garden, dug into the side of the cliff our houses are on. Lucky people.

1 Like

I only see my postie if there’s a delivery that won’t fit in the box. Then she - it is always the same woman, togged up for riding a moto - has to climb The Precipice, (3m elevation of steps cut out of the cliff), more steps in the garden, more round the corner of the house, then a steep climb up the path along the side of the house before reaching the level of the front door.

She is invariably very cheerful, if a bit puffed.

I will take the tip that a kumshaw at Crimble would be most appropriate.

1 Like

Ask to buy their Christmas calendar? You pay what you think suitable but obviously a donation.

Thanks to it being discussed on SF soon after I arrived here (SF) this gave me the way to better things generally with the local post team. Prior to asking could I buy a calendar things had not got off to a good start with multiple non-existent but claimed delivery attempts of parcels (we don’t get the full 6 days service here).

Thass a good ol’ dear! :grinning: [I break into Zummerzet when I get excited.] I do my own calendars and dish some out to a chosen few. So a calendar and some dosh … perfect.

Here’s April '22

I had gt difficulty getting my ex-landlady to see why I call this picture ‘Le Chien Qui Ris’

Just for fun, one from 2019, taken in the booze section of Valencia’s El Cortes supermarket.

2 Likes