Offering on a property

Is there a typical route for negotiation on price when buying a property?

Had read previously that offering below asking could be seen as an insult… BUT we viewed a few where the agent freely admitted without prompting the vendor would take a much lower price than advertised ( a couple were around the 20% mark lower ).

Its a smallish town in the Loire approx 10k residents so I’m guessing slower market and maybe more scope to negotiate than in an urban area with higher demand?

How much are you prepared to pay for the property? Ask a bit less. The seller can always just say no and get on with their life. People are people.

I don’t think the French are insulted by an offer under the asking price - as long as it is realistic.

As David says come up with your own valuation/what you are willing to pay, drop a bit for negotiating and put the offer to the agent.

Imagine it’s like a boot fair/brocante. A price is asked you have a look, see what else is on offer elsewhere and their prices and if you really like the first article and its what you want the most you make an offer.

The seller may say that his article is worth more, you can reply that there are a lot of similar articles on offer at a lower price, that you really like his so couldn’t you meet halfway ? At all times be pleasant, most people are prepared to consider reasonable offers.

No one is insulted, it’s business, its realistic and its generally expected. :thinking:

go in at 15 - 20% below asking price - then negotiate around 10% if first offer not accepted

Steve not sure if you’ve been to any websites but the linked post below was provided by a member here. I think it helps sanity check values or perhaps your negotiation strategy.