Oh for Some Quality TV without Violence!

Thanks Dab. (sorry DAN!) NordVPN - supposed to be among the best.

Probably will get ‘never heard of it’ but Young Sheldon (Big Bang Theory spin-off) is light with no violence in sight.

We did too. Thought the first and second series were great, but not so sure about the third - they seem to have lost their direction a bit.
Also loved Mozart in the Jungle, though again feel the idea may be running out of steam.

You may need to set the input type as HDMI DVI to get a good picture from a computer/laptop. It was necessary on both of our Samsung TVs.

Not seen series 3 yet.

Ours is a Philips smart Android tv and all is fine except Netflix original films & Series that look like they were filmed in the dark no matter what adjustments we make to the tv. So we cancelled Netflix - No such problems with Amazon Prime or NowTV.:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

Course I’ve heard of it. Small, overly smart brats not my cup of tea, though thought Big Bang was great - not so sure now 10 years on. Some of it now makes me feel uncomfortable. Does laughing at an Indian because he has a funny accent feel a bit like an early Carry On movie? Not to mention a woman with a squeaky voice and big breasts - even if she is an intelligent scientist (or whatever).

1 Like

BBT was fresh when it first came out and the early series were the best, can’t believe you don’t like YS though.

Madam Secretary, Keeping Faith, New Amsterdam.

Madam Secretary looks interesting Lee, but I don’t think it’s available on Netflix in France.

New Amsterdam as a medical series may not be for me … these days (like the violence) they tend to show too much blood and gore for my comfort - bring back Emergency Ward 10! Ooh there’s a thought … I wonder if ER is on anywhere?

No-one’s mentioned Poldark. I see from changing terrestial channels last night it’s still going. Never watched it. Is it worth it?

Thanks for your reply, Sue.

Haven’t watched Poldark. We watch all our “television” by way of streaming through a computer using a VPN and connect to a large monitor. So we can access programmes from the UK, the USA etc etc; we don’t actually have a TV!

Other shows we’ve recently enjoyed are Bancroft, The Looming Tower, The Virtues, The Enemy Within, Bull and Blue Bloods. Some may well not be to your taste but we think Bull is great!

Wish you good viewing!

Gentleman Jack and Summer of Rockets were good recently on BBC.

I can recommend " the after life " ( Ricky Gervaise) I cant say I was a fan of his, but thought the afterlife was funny, sad and well worth the binge watch. Netflix

After Life is fantastic but lots of extreme language. Be prepared to hear the c word.

I heartily agree! We’ve watched the whole of West Wing three times too! Too soon to start again just yet.
There’s always Poirot with David Suchet. Even though we’re on our third or fourth time of watching we can never quite remember who ‘did it’. Or Miss Marple - only the series with Joan Hickson.
We’ve really enjoyed Maigret with Bruno Cremer - there are lots and lots of episodes so it is very good value. It’s in French and it’s often a bit tricky to follow the dialogue, partly because of the quality of the sound recording, but you need to let it wash over you, or read the original book! It is directed very well, in an understated way, it looks totally authentic, and the actors (nearly all of which we have never seen before) and locations are totally realistic. Our dvd set is in French with Dutch subtitles (!!) but it might be possible to find a version with English subtitles.

1 Like

After you’ve watched The Good Wife try The Good Fight it’s a spin off and really good
I’m not one for period dramas but did find The Crown on Netflix quite good

Have you tried ‘Keeping Faith’? There are 2 series, and it is fascinating, based in south Wales, revolves around a ‘missing’ husband.
I’m also a fan of Vera, though sometimes I need subtitles!
There is always the ‘classics’ - midsomer murders/poirot/miss marple.
I’ve just discovered Wild Bill, on iTV - not many episodes as yet, but interesting - an American takes over as police commissioner in East Anglia.
Nice to know someone else is a fan of Vera anyway!
I saw Brenda Blethyn years ago in the Royal Exchange Theatre Manchester, playing Nora, in A Doll’s House - she was brilliant.

Also the second series of Keeping Faith is now available on iplayer.

Thanks Ann, yes I realised that after I posted and have now watched them all. So good!

Big Little Lies with Nicole Kidman