'Oles in the lawn

My random mole is still here…strimming every three weeks or so not too short unless I lose my grip on the strimmer and scalp the grass…I thought he/they had retired to the wilderness where it doesn’t matter…not that I’m bothered really…,I just don’t want my neighbours to be bothered by les animaux sous le terre…it’s been quiet for a couple of weeks but tonight I have a fresh mountain of soft earth to flatten underfoot…x :slight_smile:

1 Like

:rofl: :heart:

1 Like

Helen,

I was once advised to carefully remove the “mountain” of soil, without letting the hole fill/collapse. That way, the mole continues to patrol his tunnels. If you squash the earth, the tunnel collapses and the mole becomes active again in an attempt to open-up the blocked tunnel… thus sending up a new “mountain”.

That was how one “old boy” explained things to me… and the soil you gently gather is meant to be excellent for potting… :relaxed:

1 Like

Drop of petrole in the tunnel seems to make it, a less than attractive ‘hoose’ :wink:

It never fails to fascinate me how ground that seems so compact and solid and difficult to dig into with a spade from above ground…is transformed into the soft filtered finely dug earth sent out by a mole from below ground…I’ll try that tonight…I never intentionally try to collapse their tunnel and block them in (impossible…lol) but sometimes I can still see the tunnel and sometimes not…x :slight_smile:

1 Like

Back in UK, after carefully removing the above-ground soil, I would place a piece of slate (or whatever) over the open hole… that seemed to help… :relaxed: but have to be careful when mowing… although in Summer, mowing was usually at a minimum.

There is never just one mole, and 2 moles make lots more moles, which makes lots more holes, hills etc. Live with them if you like, I prefer to get rid of/ blow the destructive little buggers up if they invade my gites garden. If they stay outside that, then I have no problem, our cats can deal with them :joy::joy:

Amazed how you find killing so amusing Mark :unamused:

And a very unpleasant demise for them too. :thinking:

Despite many or most of my years living semi rural/rural/ occasionally suburban and briefly in a city…and despite many moons ago having cats as well as Collies…I have never ever seen a mole in real life…only mole hills…lol…my cats bought in daily offerings of mice and voles and birds sometimes dead and sometimes living…the living I tried to save…but they never ever bought me a mole no matter how many mole hills…x :slight_smile:

Castor Oil is one thing that seems to work, Bill… and it is “greener” than petrol. :relaxed::relaxed:

Soak a small piece of cloth in the oil and tuck it down into the hole. Others simply pour the oil into the earth… not sure which works best… but put a slate (or stone) over the hole to keep the smell down there where the moles are… :grin:

1 Like

So sorry I got the name wrong. I should have said ‘detaupeur’. Yes Bill it’s harsh but sadly if you want grass you have not got much choice. It’s much the same as having a mouse in the house, they do a lot of damage and you can’t really live with it. There is one other solution. Get some chickens, we had moles when we lived in England, then we decided to have a few chickens. The added bonus to having fresh eggs the moles disappeared never to return!

I will never resort to that very cruel method Carol, I think it’s inhumane, disgusting in fact, think of the dreadful death of any only injured or young left to starve to death, no I will stick to my methods, I am not psychopathic.

1 Like

Moles, Voles, whatever - our solution was to put used cat litter down the holes - worked just fine. We also trained our Burmese cat, D’Or Nid, to wait patiently watching such a hole and when he detected movement to rush over, scramble/dig into the hole, when he would then back out with a now useless mole/vole/whatever in his mouth. Also very effective, but takes a long time to deal with many holes.

Hope that helps,

Mel ANTHONY

A Kalashnikov is quite effective also.

1 Like

:rofl::+1:

I’ve been trying to find the Jasper Carrot sketch where he watches the mole hole armed with a rifle … it was so funny when we watched that all those years ago…:grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

Shown this video to our cat. Expecting a pristine lawn now…

What happens if your cat says Me !.. 'ow ? :rofl:

1 Like

Or, an other solution !