Opening a new window in SF

I only have a mild-mannered magic wand - :upside_down_face::crazy_face:computers and electronic wizardry are way beyond my skills.

Firefox is constantly updated to make it safer, faster ā€¦

Have you added an add-on or changed any settings in Firefox?

Check the settings in Firefox.

Iā€™m getting prompted to log in every time I open the front page in a new tab or window - and some other times if I have not refreshed the page for a minute or two.

Adblockers are fairly notorious for making sites not work - even when the site is not specifically coded to detect their use.

I run Adblock Plus and Ghostery - neither seem to be the problem as disabling them does not change the behaviour.

Possibly it is due to some of the new Firefox privacy tweaks - although I have those set so they only apply to private browsing windows (which I tend not to use anyway).

Iā€™ve just reinstalled FF and the problem still persists on this PC but it is ok on my wifeā€™s PC with the same set up. Bizarre!

Any excuse - you just want to get your hands on your wifeā€™s whatsit :wink::joy: (in the nicest possible way)

I donā€™t need to touch my wifeā€™s PC as I can jump on hers from mine :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :grinning:

1 Like

Perhaps you should try swinging from the chandeliers :laughing::crazy_face::upside_down_face:

Apologies - Iā€™ve been outside and the heat has melted what little brain I had left. :face_with_thermometer:

So, in further investigation I have foundā€¦

• If I right click on the profile of a member to open a new window or tab my login persists in that new window or tab

howeverā€¦

• If I right click on a topic heading from the Ā«LatestĀ» list my login doesnā€™t persist and I have to re-login to that window or tab.

So that seems to be a key element in this saga from my perspective and leads me to believe that it is a site problem - not necessarily a problem specific to my PC - if that makes sense.

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s the same as Iā€™m getting presently @james, any thoughts.

2 Likes

In addition to above, the site appears to be blocking LastPass password manager auto login (which I think may be connected).
If I go through LastPass to login to SF, even with the Ā«auto loginĀ» set, it doesnā€™t take me straight in (as it used to) but returns me to the login dialogue box with the fields pre-loaded with my login data and clicking on Ā«LOGINĀ» then takes me in to the site.

curiouser and curiouser

Hi, havenā€™t touched a thing, Iā€™ll investigate! Thanks

1 Like

Is this only happening on Firefox?

I think so @james.
It seems to work well on Chromium.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been in touch with Discourse support and the likely cause is a rogue browser plugin, you can check if thatā€™s the case by running Firefox in safe mode.

2 Likes

Yup, that worked.
Now to find which plugin is the rogue elementā€¦

2 Likes

I found only 2 plugins which might be suspect and have disabled both and then re started FF but the problem persists.
Like @anon88169868 I also have ghostery as well as LastPass add-ons but he already tried disabling those (as did I) to no effect.
So, back to the drawing boardā€¦
Strange still that it is only SF that is affected; the Stack Exchange sites still work perfectly well.

Just tried a hard reset of the PC and it still requires login to the site (whereas it used to automatically log in so disabling the plug-ins hasnā€™t done the trick.
So, no further forward other than knowing that starting in safe mode is ok (but that disables bookmarks and add-ons which are working correctly).

Have you tried clearing FF cache?