OUR FRENCH LIFE - IT'S CHILLI !!!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 heaped tsp hot chilli powder (or 1 level tbsp if mild)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 500g lean minced beef
- 1 beef stock cube (I used the little gravy boat thingy)
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp dry marjoram
- 1 tsp of sugar - optional - see foot note
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 410g can red kidney beans
- plain boiled long grain rice to serve
- Soured cream or Creme Fraiche to serve
I prepare all the veg first chopping onion and red pepperinto small dice and chop the garlic smallish. cook the onion for 5 minutes, then add the red pepper and garlic along with chilli powder cumin and paprika, give a good stir and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
Drain and rinse well the beans and add to mixture, gently simmer for 10 minutes, at this point taste and adjust seasoning, now put the lid back on, turn off the heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Sadly we were too eager to eat it because it tasted so good and rich but not too hot we forgot to take a photo of the finished article.
- A Mexican Twist, rather than add the teaspoon of sugar, you can stir in a small piece of chocolate ( 1 square) when you add the beans, Any plain dark chocolate will do, be careful not to add too much - you don't want to be able to identify the flavour of the chocolate but it makes an immense difference.