Overkill or what?

Ok, time to put my head above the parapet.

I am not particularly a royalist though I have complete respect for what Queen Elizabeth achieved over 70 years.

Since her passing all of the UK media outlets have, quite rightly given their all about her passing as well as her life serving the nation and it’s subjects.

Ever since the announcement of her passing we have had wall to wall coverage. I regularly listen to the following : Sky News, the BBC, TalkRadio, LBC and Talksport plus others.

Last evening whilst trying to find other news LBC devoted an hour to the war in Ukraine. Since her passing that was the only news from the war which is amazing as the Ukranian forces have recaptured vast swathes of their country tho you wouldn’t know about it. I have had no news of how the new PM is trying to sort out the cost of living crisis not to mention the NHS or the big law and order problems et al.

Life goes on, ok let’s mourn in our own way if we wish but the problems of the world continue and King Charles III and the memories of a deceased monarch will not help the situation.

Let’s get back to real life please.

7 Likes

You’re all heart Peter :wink:
…but I know where you are coming from. I normally listen to Clasic FM most afternoons and Saturday after was no exception except… it was all maudlin music! FFS
Same this (Sunday) morning too so I switched to Radio Classique France - much better :relieved:

Apparently it’s more important (to her) that Truss attaches herself to the new king’s tour of the nations. I hope she is royally and vociferously booed every time she appears.

6 Likes

Yet the most view article on the BBC website was about the Ukraine!

It’s 12 days in 70 years

1 Like

It’s as one would expect. It’s a ‘world news’ item, going out to absolutely everywhere. The trip from Balmoral to Edinburgh is 6 hrs! Some of it at walking pace so the onlookers do get a good look on. The BBC will broadcast all of it.

And all the rest of all the proceedings until the royals, the great and the good, have their final tuppence-worth and disperse. Thus it was with the funeral of Diana and, for those of us who were old enough to watch it on TV in B & W, the funeral of W.S.C.

By the way, do you notice the conclusive evidence, if it were needed, of who won the peace?

2 Likes

It’s a truly historic moment, as can be witnessed by how the rest of the World is marking this event. The BBC is doing a truly remarkable job of covering the Queen’s death and all the events surrounding it. Presumably you moved to France to “escape” the UK and this type of stuff so maybe switch to French media to avoid what irks you.
Izzy x

4 Likes

BFM have coverage live for those of us with no UK TV connections. No one is forced to watch or listen if they are finding it overwhelming. I tend to look several times a day for snippets but can’t sit there glued to the set.

3 Likes

Listen/watch french or international media instead.?

https://www.aljazeera.com/ Has a live blog on the war in Ukraine.

4 Likes

Actually I’ve been surprised by the extent of coverage in French and North American media.

Also, it’s important to step back and think how much TV news, is often over-dependent on video footage that actually contains very little useful information about the event. We don’t need to see a picture of Royals stepping out of a door somewhere. Conversely, if a news event can’t be filmed, it is less likely to feature prominently in the schedule.

Western societies have been becoming increasingly visually orientated since the C18th and much of this has been technologically driven, eg the invention of photography, television, the internet and now multifunction cell phones. By contrast verbal and textual communication has diminished or become almost unrecognisably abbreviated.

2 Likes

For those concerned neither BBC1 or 2 is showing the journey to Edinburgh at the moment. BBC 2 isn’t even showing anything ‘royal’

1 Like

Rugby on BBC2.
I have, however, just watched exactly the same ceremony 3 times - once each in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland :wink: The Welsh did it best, interspersing Welsh with English and including a rousing version of the glorious Welsh National Anthem.
Izzy x

1 Like

The thing is as Macron said that she is THE Queen - few internationally well-known institutions have remained as apparently unchanged as the Queen herself. For anyone under about 75 I suppose she has been a constant presence on the horizon and just that is significant even without thinking of the whole new Elizabethan 1950s optimistic whizz for atoms side of things.

7 Likes

It was the demise of the British Queen that prompted me to join this forum. I quit the UK thirty years ago. To me the House of Wimdsor have outlived their usefulness. If they ever had any in the first place. Every day thousands of people die. Every now and then I lose a friend of neighbour. I feel sad. But I have no emotional response to the death of somebody I have never met.

In fact my feeling is somewhat different in this case. When I had to study law as part of getting my professional qualifications I remember a lecture on the structure that rules Britain. The monarch sits at the top of the triangle of government above the upper and lower houses. Only the monarch can sign an act of parliament. With this power goes the responsibility to act as a backstop. To hold to account those who would change the law. It is rare for the monarch to intervene publicly but, during her reign, E2 was faced with signing off Brexit. In my opinion she failed by not exercising her power and insisting that the agreement be discussed fully in public and that it be endorsed by a clear majority of the population. It is by which I will always remember her.

6 Likes

Hi @GusMorris and welcome to SF

Is that even within the Sovereign’s remit as a Constitutional Monarch?

1 Like

She could have done but Royal Assent hasn’t been refused since 1708!!
Izzy x

https://www.parliament.uk/site-information/glossary/royal-assent/#:~:text=While%20the%20Monarch%20has%20the,regarded%20today%20as%20a%20formality.

3 Likes

Same as that myself, dismal.

Can these be moved to one of the threads that is debating UK constitutional issues?

Don’t need another thread cluttered up with this, and risking diverting what could be a thread with a useful selection of places to find news

1 Like

Born Aug 1949 I was a Georgian for 2 1/2 years. Born Feb 6 1952 you were an Elizabethan

The Brexiteers would say that it was. They certainly made most noise. The Remain argument was consipicuous by it’s virtual invisibility. All who were entitled to vote could have voted. Cameron insisted he would honour the result, never for one mo thinking Leave would win.

HMQ had no more entitlement to nay-say the result than if they’d put 1000% tax on horse feed.

2 Likes

So do i…and Beeb in particular has become obsessed, i think there may well be a kick back from the way the TV and print e media are force feeding viewers/readers. A substantial number of people don’t support the monachy and this diet will only serve to bolster them.

1 Like