Palm Oil should maybe be banned?

I think this video says it all … I have made an effort not to buy any products that use Palm Oil … Are others here on SF going to make choices too ?

2 Likes

I’ve been avoiding it as much as I can for a long time now. Noticed that supermarkets own brands, like super U, are not using it as much as other well known brands.

4 Likes

It should absolutely be banned, I have been boycotting it for some years now and sticking post-its in shops.

6 Likes

not used it or bought it for many years. Even my son when looking at snacks, looks for it on the packet

4 Likes

I have been boycotting palm oil products for several years now. I recall that Super U pledges to remove it altogether from their products by 2020 or a similar date.

4 Likes

When in the M Navy, we brought it back from the F’ East, one small tank of the stuff, apparently paid all the expence of the 3 month voyage, there and back, the rest of the cargo was pure profit, a lot of Money in Palm Oil :thinking: V sad for the Orangutan and others.

1 Like

I try to avoid it as much as possible. I buy very little processed food but I always check labels. I hate what the production of this stuff is doing to wildlife.

3 Likes

We have quite a list of things we try to avoid, including ingredients, source countries and companies. Shopping can be a slow process!

3 Likes

Last things I’ve banned last week were onions from New Zealand !

1 Like

Forgive me, but why buy onions from NZ when you live in the mother of all onion growing countries?

That’s my point, we don’t ! But people need to read more the labels because supermarkets sell them here in Brittany !

2 Likes

No need to read labels in our household on fruit and veg. We usually buy loose from the market or our local veg shop as opposed to supermarkets. Yes, the price may be higher but the quality is always superior and you have a better chance of understanding it’s source. Less wastage too and no plastic to polute the environment.
The future is orange. Save the orangutan!

2 Likes

same here.

As long as you can trust the one who sell them on the market… In my experience, they are sadly not all honest about the sourcing and not controled often by the authorities. The only source I trust, is our garden.

3 Likes

Absolutely! I know several stalls that are more concerned about buying cheap and selling for a profit than the source. And if their wholesaler is offering them onions from NZ then they won’t be fussy. An honest smallholder will at least not label it as French, but I bet some do.

Al least we can start to harvest our spinach and blette now, so we know where those have come from.

3 Likes

the first time I flew into KL I looked out the plane window and thought I saw nice forest everywhere. However on the ground and driving into town in the taxi it all turned out to be mile after mile of palm oil trees. All the forest was gone and the only “wildlife” that lives in there is snakes and rats.

3 Likes

Buying at “the market”, is Very Far from a guarantee, of Source, or Quality, Graham.
The guys on ‘the market’, most often, are buying from the same wholesalers as the supermarkets :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Buying from a local maraîcher is good, that’s what I usually do as it is on my way back from work so very handy.

3 Likes

But that’s entirely Different Vero, it’s fresh, local and you have a chance of knowing how the producer ‘operates’, we have one near us, our baker buys his fruit from them.

2 Likes

I never buy anything with palm oil, starting with Nutella, to my sons’ chagrin.

2 Likes