Paying cotisations question

I think your reply should have gone to Evelyn :wink: I’m happy being self-employed and after 30 years I wouldn’t consider anything else - which is just as well because I think I would be so bolshy as to be unemployable if anyone tried to tell me how to do my job :grinning:

With CESU it’s the employer that gets tax deductions - not the employeee…
But if you’re on a low income with 3 dependents you’d be unlikely to pay income tax in any case.

So I’ve emailed info on how much paying CSG would cost. Can I use my own private insurance (the one I use for house)?

Am I right to assume that a married couple pay less tax?

I don’t understand.
CSG is included in the cotisations you already pay as a micro entrepreneur, you are already paying it. In any case, paying CSG doesn’t entitle you to anything - it’s basically a tax that’s used for various purposes such as paying off France’s national debt, financing the social security system and other things.

Home insurance wouldn’t cover loss of income.

Sorry, I’m a bit lost on your last post.

Less tax than what?
Income tax for a married couple is assessed per household not per individual. It can work out more, or less, depending what the joint income is. Have you not done a tax return here yet?

:grinning:I thought CSG was the name of the cotisations for future chomage! And I meant would it be possible to pay these cotisations to my insurance company…
As you see - when it comes to paperwork etc I’m completely lost!:tired_face:

my partner does all the paperwork. yes, he does my tax forms. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

ah ah, sorry about the confusion in the answers… I meant to answer Evelyn indeed :wink:

CSG = Contribution Sociale Généralisée = Tax to compensate for the deficit of the social security. So basically you’re paying the interest on the debt of the Social Security with that tax but not the service itself. Keeping that in mind, it’s funny to see that the CSG increases every year while the debt itself doesn’t look as bad as they describe it… or maybe my reading of graphics isn’t as good as it used to be, I let you be the judge of that:

Deficit_Securite%CC%81_Social-_France_2009-2017

PS: Don’t forget to French invented the VAT so we’re quite creative when it comes to creating new taxes… all it requires is for you to start low (CSG = 0.5% in 1984) and then gradually increase it up until a level we commoners can’t sustain and then just create a new one… But to be fair, France is just leading the pack in terms of taxes, the VAT is the greatest example of that, quote one country that doesn’t have VAT? :wink:

1 Like

I know paperwork’s a bore and it’s nice if someone else does it for you - but the flipside is that if you do it yourself and try to take an interest in it, it helps you understand how things work in France. Otherwise there is the risk of nasty surprises like discovering you don’t have the social cover you hoped you did, or finding that you’ve been missing out on support that you could have claimed. I think it’s a fair system and it is transparent, the information is all on the government website; but it’s not one-size-fits-all and it doesn’t hand things to you on a plate. It offers different options to suit different situations, and it’s up to the individual to do their homework, get on top of it and make the most appropriate choices for their situation.

2 Likes

Hello,
I have a question. Last year a Parent paid me for teaching his son some 20 hrs of English. He paid me Nett and I deposited the amount in my business account. He declared his payment thru CESU. I got acknowledgement from CESU that I am registered with them as a result of this small job.
Not knowing much about CESU, I added this income to my private teaching income and declared and paid URSSAF t the time (trimestrial), applying the usual rate of social charges of 22.2%. Now I am reading that the income I received from payment of this CESU paid to me by the parent should have been left out as it attracts zero social charges, ss social charges are paid by the “employer” parent. Does this mean I can claim a refund from URSSAF for what I wrongly paid???
please advice. Many thanks
Darcy2012

Hi, you can try claiming to the URSSAF but if it is in regard to 2019 I think it will be quite troublesome to get it as the URSSAF is not a big fan of refunding :wink: Technically speaking you’re right but I’m afraid they’ll make it difficult for you to actually change your initial/previous statement so you should try to get in touch with them and see where it goes… And brace yourself for quite a long administrative process :frowning:

2 Likes

Thanks Fabien for your quick response