Paying tax in France on an English Government Pension

I’m glad that you have grasped it. But I would seriously question the abilities of your accountant! Residence and needing to declare worldwide income here is pretty basic.

My only concern is that you said you have civil service pension. They are always taxed in the UK, so I remain concerned that HMRC have somehow missed that.

1 Like

No. Your UK personal tax free allowance is only “ used up” when it is offset against tax paid in the UK. If you pay no tax in the UK it is not used up. There is no adjustment for tax paid elsewhere. I’d leave your dog to bark by itself…

But there are allowances for tax payed elsewhere. Maybe it’s an investment income thing Jane, I dunno. But income upon which which I pay French tax on is somehow in my TFA mix. It all seems to work out fine, maybe even to my benefit a bit. So I’ll leave the worrying (be it tax or sheep) to my dog :slightly_smiling_face:

We used to leave the worrying to our sheepdog, until we worked things out for ourselves and realised they had made two huge errors. One was something anyone can do, they had misplaced a decimal point, and we did get the overpaid tax back pretty quickly. It made us wonder if there were other errors…and discover a significant one that means we overpaid social charges by a fair amount. And we are still battling to get this back.

Unless you can afford these sorts of mistakes, I always feel that it is important to understand the position yourself.

We pay tax in the UK and here. Our UK personal allowances relates to UK tax only. But we do get abatements and credit impôt here that relate to tax paid in the UK, and for dividends, charitable donations and list of other bits and pieces. In general, now we have our S1, we pay less here than we did in the UK.

1 Like

If you have registered your new situation with UK Tax Office you will get an automatic refund each year - if it hasn’t arrived by Sept/Oct you can apply on-lne for a refund.

Thanks, but I don’t need an accountant! We now do everything ourselves without problem. And for queries we have a French accountant we can call on. But perhaps useful to others.