PayPal - updating your browser

Get a Transferwise account and send money to their bank accounts using that.

2 Likes

Both the laptop and the PC are connected by ethernet cable, but in the laptop’s case, only because it gave a more stable connection, not that it didn’t connect via wifi in the first place, it did.

The tablet used to work with the wifi without asking for a password, and indeed would save podcasts to play when I was away from home without wifi. It then began to stream only, thus only at home, and finally stopped connecting altogether. Hence my attempt to reboot the wifi.

The Livebox does not have either an info button or a screen so I will try your advice re the number you gave. Thank you.

Paul - sorry - don’t think I said that ‘I’ had forgotten password - it is that PayPal displays the screen which states ‘doesn’t recognise my computer, can’t confirm my identity’ - or log-in screen - where it won’t accept my password. I have been using the same password for yonks - but it is PayPal which does not recognise my computer, my password, or me.

Transferwise is the best solution for sending money.
However, I don’t understand why a French Paypal account is not OK.

I share your frustration, which is why I have resisted all blandishments by Firefox to do what you did. I nearly gave in the other day but then chickened out, and certainly won’t be giving in after reading your experience.

But Paypal is a big nono for me, as I said I can’t remember after all these years what they did that was so terrible, but I do remember it had to do with swallowing money in some way.

Is this the .uk PayPal site or the .fr one?

If you go to the PayPal login, click the “Vous n’arrivez pas à vous connecter?” (or “Having trouble…?”) link and enter your email address, do you then get an email with instructions on how to reset the password?

By the way the password reset process normally times out if you don’t use it after a few hours so you shouldn’t “make things worse” by starting the process.

Me neither - Anne seems to be having quite separate difficulties with PayPal though.

Paul & Krister; my e-Bay account (french) was linked to my UK bank account. I have tried going through both my french e-Bay a/c, and my UK e-Bay a/c. Both of which take me to the PayPal log-in - which is where the problem lies.

As for using a UK bank account - OK - the bank a/c was solely mine, that’s ‘my’ little bit of money; not joint money, but mine own and I use it to treat my daughter and grand-daughter. There are more personal reasons behind that decision which I have no wish to talk about - but that link between PayPal and my UK bank a/c was very important.

What has eBay got to do with this?

Go to the PayPal login, click the forgot password link, follow the instructions.

Also:

So, you have a UK bank account linked to a PayPal account (originally set up in the UK)?

Is your daughter/grand-daughter in the UK?

Were you using your PayPal account to send her money from that account to her PayPal account?

Do you have Internet banking on that UK bank account?

If so, why not just pay her directly to their bank accounts from yours?

DAVID - please do not use new version of FireFox. It has problems - it’s lost the Copy & Paste bit for a start. I’d advise you to go to the FireFox forum pages - what you’ll read will confirm my advice - and there is the potential to ‘mess up’ your PC and to lose passwords.
Stick with what you’ve got; in that famous phrase ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ !!!
But check the FireFox forums - don’t take my word - although bitter personal experience should count for something !!
Good luck - at least you’re now aware of possible problems.
I liked the earlier versions of FireFox - the later ones are a mess.

True. When moving to High Sierra something went horribly wrong and I spent ages on the line to various levels of Apple Support (who were very good indeed, much to my relief). Last week I plucked up courage to upgrade from High Sierra to Catalina. This time the download didn’t take too long and the installation went ahead without problems. So I’m OK now, at least for a while, apart from a few old apps that don’t work any more. But the appstore apps are constantly updated. Very tedious.

1 Like

Paul - we’re drifting now, and going into too much detail.
I had an e-Bay french a/c; I had an e-Bay UK a/c - both e-Bay accounts were linked to my UK bank a/c.
I have tried separately using the french e-bay, the UK e-Bay, the stand alone French Pay-Pal, and the UK stand-alone PayPal. And every single time I am ‘not recognised’…locked out, password not acepted.

Yes, I used my PayPal to send money to my daughter’s PayPal, via e-mail; it was quick, immediate and sometimes a surprise for her. Yes, my daughter & grand-daughter are in the UK.

Using bank transfer is not so quick; and when you want to use your card reader and find - because it’s seldom used - that the battery is dead - then you just want to kick and scream and shout.

Thank you everyone for alternative suggestions to PayPal. I’m aware of them all - but there is nothing that is as quick, or as easy as PayPal. What also upsets me is that using PayPal I could make charitable donations, very quickly, internationally, without any problem - and without having to explain any of the donations because it was my little bit of money.
Now the charities will also lose out.

But if some of you take on board my advice; be careful if you use UK bank linked to your PayPal - do not do anything that will cause this link to be damaged, terminated, destroyed - because you will never be able to get it back.

Now I need to go and buy some batteries for my card reader. Life is getting more and more complicated. Remember the song ‘Stop the World I Wanna Get Off’ (Anthony Newley) - more and more often I find myself feeling that way.

Rewind me back 20 years please Big God - or whoever might be up there !!!

1 Like

these are stressful times, indeed… take care :slight_smile:

The bad news Fleur is that the new release, Big Sur, is coming out very soon. I’m (notionally) an Apple developer so I’ve had beta copies of it for a while but I just couldn’t be bothered installing it. I’ll install it on my laptop when it releases but not my iMac just in case. I don’t like seeing fixes being issued just after release (eg IOS 14) so I’ve les confidence in Apple testing than I used to have.

Stella - aren’t you lovely - thank you.

eBay are no longer anything to do with PayPal and you did not mention them until just now.

You also have not described what happens if you follow the “Having trouble…?” link to reset your password. I appreciate that you are distraught at the lack of ability to use PayPal at the moment but, all you keep telling us is that your password is not recognised.

You did mention the chat helpline - I’ve never contacted them though I would not be surprised if password resets are not something they can help with so as to avoid accounts being hijacked.

Using bank transfer is extremely quick nowadays thanks to the “faster payments” system, often within a couple of minutes.

No, it hasn’t (assuming that you mean the menu bar and the “Edit” menu).

The menu bar just isn’t being displayed.

Right-Click to the right of the “+” by the last tab, you’ll get a menu appear - it has a couple of tickboxes for the menu bar and bookmarks bar.

@anon48648089
I’m using Firefox on Linux and it’s absolutely fine and solid.
gnome-shell-screenshot-ECYCS0
I also use it on Android and it’s absolutely fine and solid.
Please refrain from dissing software and unnerving people when there is nothing wrong with the product.

3 Likes

Anne, don’t worry, I have no intention of messing with my Firefox, I like it just the way it is. :wink:

But as regards to not using PayPal:

That’s what I use with my Yorkshire Bank account, the transfer is instant. There is a limit of course, £ 1,000/day, but that is only because I wasn’t fast enough to use the long numbers on the card reader thing. When I transfer large amounts to my transfer service, Worldwide, they know the situation and are happy to wait several days for it to be completed.

Anne, I’m really sorry to hear you are having such a drama with it all, it can get very stressful!

I completely understand that passwords / cookies can be lost when upgrading (although I havent’ had that happen for me with FF in a long time) but it does seem really odd that it could have ‘broken’ what is a private detail between your bank and your PP account. Also from the picture you posted it looks like just a wrong password issue, either as they are having some glitch today or you have forgotten it as you are used to it being saved.

Have you tried Paul’s suggestion (below) and if so what was the response when you did this?

If your PC is connected by cable, you can easily connect to the admin interface of the Livebox at 192.168.1.1 and check what the Wifi password is.

Krister, I followed your advice above and it led me to a page in English which said I had nothing connected by wifi. Fair enough, I didn’t, so I disconnected the ethernet cable from my laptop and, after switching the wifi on, am writing this now on wifi, but it still says I have no devices connected. But I plainly do. Bizarre

Anyway, a panel tells me that the admin password is the first 8 digits of the security key on the back of the Livebox, so when entering that it simply sends me back to the beginning to input an admin password. More bizarre.

However, when trying again to connect the tablet, at first it did not give me the chance of entering the password but sent me straight to a demand for a change. Then it did allow me but still rejected the password as incorrect. :frowning_face:

If only the tablet had an ethernet port. :roll_eyes: