PCR test how long

Hi all how long before I get my result of PCR test which I have had this morning

I have normally received them that same evening.

Yep I agree with Mat, around here a morning test gets same day result.

Thank you both

1 Like

Not had to know about this till now, but an English friend who I met at her local house has just tested positive for covid.
Do I get a test from the pharmacie, and go in person (masked of course), and one for Fran too?
Also do I tell our recent contacts now or wait till the outcome of the test?
Thanks.

I guess you are not using the French tousanticovid app.
You can get an antigen test at your local pharmacie (free, if you are vaccinated or have been “pinged” on the app. If positive, you can then get a free PCR test (usually at the laboratory).
The antigen test result is available in about 10 minutes. A PCR test takes a bit longer and the result is usually available in the evening of the same day.
I have recently had PCR tests (for hospitalisation purposes) and have arranged the PCR test at our local(ish) laboratory through Doctolib or can be direct with the lab. Mine were at 11am in each case and the results by email round about 8pm.

No, only when if you get a positif result. If negatif, no need. If you use the tousanticovid app, you can record the test result there.

That’s right, wait for the outcome.

PCR is a bit more sensitive than the LFD test, so if it’s early days and you’re concerned then that’s the one to choose if you get the option.

Result may be available same-day if done locally or next day if sent off.

Thanks both, is it just a walk in at the pharmacie or by rdv? I can get Fran there but it is a bit of a struggle and I don’t want to unless sure.

I feel a bit under today, though she is ok, but put that down to 2 short sleep nights because of her early aide de toilette and this morning yet another blood test, again early. I can do without a 30 km round trip, especially if it is an early on top of everything else.

Sorry, I don’t know.

My first symptom was a cough.

It varies from place to place.

If you have the tousanticovid app on your phone, scroll to the bottom and tap “useful links”.
Then scroll down and tap “where to get tested”.
Tap “Where to get tested” and use finger and thumb to scroll / enlarge the map to show your location.
You’ll then see details of local centres that offer testing.

If you don’t have tousanticovid, then use a computer and visit Sante,fr, select departement/town (and if required, type of test centre) and you’ll see a list of local centres.

I hope all turns out well.

For the antigen test and for bloods, you should be able to get this done by a nurse domicile who can visit your home. Your local pharmacie should have a list of your nearest cabinet. If you have an ALD, this could well be free of charge but otherwise the cost of a nurse domicile is not exorbitant, in our experience.

No smartphones here and if sante.fr is anything like doctolib I don’t hold out much hope for any success, but Fran is definitely ALD and we both have had triple jabs. But cost is not the issue really, ease of sorting it is more important.

I had a slightly sore throat earlier but it has eased now and my general feeling of being run down I had put down to late nights (enforced) and early mornings (ditto). It is 3 days since I saw our friends, not sure if that is significant, but Fran, who is much more vulnerable than me appears to be fine.

I’ll just pile her into the car and front up at the pharmacy in the morning, there are some things we can get while there anyway.

Thanks for the valuable info all of you. :smiley:

3 Likes

Well in the event, being unable to get Fran to leave her bed (she is perfectly fine, has no symptoms) I realised that as it was only me who she has contact with others (apart from health visitors) and only me who has contact with others, I went to the pharmacy alone as early as I could in the afternoon. I thought that if I was negative Fran would not need a test.

She gave me a kit for which I had to pay, despite showing her all our attestations which she seemed puzzled by, and brought it home. The contents of the box were not complete so I was searching for something to prop it up in, and the tiny Chinese writing (I needed specs and a magnifying glass) in French with several spelling mistakes and with the various stages in a confusing array rather than a natural flow, plunged me into dispair.

I decided to translate the whole thing into my computer but over an hour later that, and other things that were going on at the time (I am Fran’s full time carer) plunged me into a deep depression with the whole thing, so I decided to leave it till today.

If I can find a prop for the test tube, after clearing a space on the table, and making sure it is at least 30 minutes since blowing my nose, and with my list printed off and resting in front of me. I will give it a try today. But I have lost confidence in it and, as I have no symptoms at all, will decide whether or not to get a kit for Fran as well

Theres normally a hole in the top of the box

Yes it said something about that, but I did probe all over it without success, I’ll try again later.

I usually just punch a hole if I need one (because 2 of us test at the same time).

If this is a PCR test you send away then probably best to leave it for tomorrow morning so the sample is fresh, unless your post is collected on a Sunday.

No it isn’t AM, I have to drop 2 drops onto a cassette and then wait 10 minutes for the tell tale red lines, apparently. Can’t do it yet, blew my nose of course after first wash of the day, and then again after the dog walk and my swim. Still glowing from the exertion at the moment, maybe later. :wink:

I didn’t know you could self test the PCR, I thought you had to have that done somewhere, the woman at the chemist didn’t give me a choice.

You can’t run a PCR at home, but you can take a sample to send away.

I see, so if this test, when I finally get around to it, is positive, I’ve then got to find out where and how to get a PCR then. Thanks.

If you have a positive result and symptoms I probably wouldn’t bother - just assume you have it. I would give it week and if the symptoms have gone, assume you are ok.

1 Like