Pensions ...the variations

I too would rather be here and fairly poor than being in UK.
And my friends offer to help…as I said…
and without asking.
But they are certainly not wealthy and I enjoy doing things for them.
One of the main things which is different between us Stella is that our
car has an engine.
And think a little differently to you.
But like me you certainly like to have your say.
And why not.

Anna yes there are people who leave every thing to chance and cry
diown the phone as they speak to you.
But family may not be able to help…
They also may not have family.

I’m enjoying this rambling conversation… as I am stuck indoors waiting for a delivery… and with nothing more exciting to do… than housework … :fearful: so I’ll grab any excuse not to do that…

We are off out for lunch yes…
To meet some friends,
So will not be around for a few hrs to talk about our differences.
Much of my time is spent on here talking to clients and prospective clients.
And plenty of time is used on housework…and, of course not in
love with it.
But it has to be done.

So, off you go… to enjoy your lunch with friends…that is always a pleasant thing to do.

à bientôt :relaxed:

I’m sorry Stella but you seem to be living in a different France to me and I’ve been
here for 25 years…sharing a car! indeed? I think Barbara makes some very valid points
and its a shame you have to argue about every single one in rather a smug and
patronising way. It IS interesting to compare pensions in different countries. France is difficult
to evaluate regarding pensions because so many people are taking “aide” from the state
in different ways like help with their rents etc. It is a bit of a club I’m afraid which it is unlikely
us expats are going to be invited to join. Jane Butler

Hi Jane… My neighbour has a car which has 5 seats so he takes 4 ladies from the village to the market every Saturday… has done so for years…and years…many other folk do similarly.

My neighbours are French born and bred and so are the greater numbers in our wide-spread commune… very close family connections… and all this works …and works well. We Brits in the commune…are invited to join in with this way of life and consider ourselves fortunate.

The fact that neither you nor Barbara experience this sort of thing does not mean it does not exist… it is, in fact, an important part of living in France.

Absolutely right…impossible. I don’t think a lot of expats
on this site are being totally upfront about their financial
status.

Jane…I suspect that many on this forum are Immigrants… here full-time and intending to stay… quite happy living in France…

I doubt that many people would wish to discuss their finances. Why do you find it so difficult to believe people??

1 Like

So Jane can we expect to see details of all your finances here ?

As an immigrant to France, one who has lived here for many years, I have often shared cars with locals.

Could you define who all these people are receiving state aide and for what ?

I don’t understand either your reference to a club which expats ( awful word ) are unlikely to be invited to join. In my experience if you are friendly and welcoming to others and participate in local events then you are usually made welcome and invited to all sorts of events in return.

2 Likes

This site explains what the basic state pension in France is for low earners:

and it’s about the same as the basic state pension in the UK.

"Le minimum contributif bénéficie aux assurés ayant cotisé sur de faibles revenus, et remplissant les conditions d’une retraite à taux plein, c’est-à-dire :

avoir atteint l’âge minimum de la retraite (62 ans à partir de la génération née en 1955, entre 60 et 62 pour les générations précédentes) et avoir validé le nombre requis de trimestres (entre 160 et 172).
ou avoir dépassé l’âge de la retraite à taux plein ( 67 ans à partir de la génération née en 1955, entre 65 et 67 ans pour les générations précédentes).

Le minimum contributif est composé de deux parties :

le minimum proprement dit (629,62 € en 2017 pour une carrière complète) ;
et la majoration, lorsque vous justifiez d’une durée d’assurance d’au moins 120 trimestres au régime général, qui porte le minimum à 688 € (toujours en 2017).

Ces montants n’ont pas été revalorisés depuis le 1er octobre 2015."

Where do you get your figures, Barbara? I have just looked up the German pensions website and it says that in Germany now for someone who has earned the average monthly salary of €2500 the pension is under €1000 a month.

1 Like

As it happens Vero the person who fed me with this info was
the inspector from Egon Ronay who gave me a star.
This info was passed on to me thismorning.
By all accounts it may not be correct!

Stella with all respect you are giving the impression that you are fairly poor as
you have a car without an engine and rely on neighbours for transportation.
So you are declaring a lack of income or dependance upon the kindess of others.
Sooner or later people get a little tired of doing this.

Hi Barbara… You are reading my replies and making of them what you wish. I am not declaring lack of income… I have sufficient for my needs.

I am not declaring dependence upon the kindness of others…I am declaring that folk here do help one another in whatever way they can and according to need.

6 Likes

I would never want to rely on others to drive me around.
So what happens if you need to go to the dentisrt, doctor
or somewhere where you need to be taken…what do you do in those cases?

Hitchhiking is common round here, is it the same in other parts of France? I regularly pick up female hitchhikers, although I have to admit I’m cautious about picking men up (as it were). It’s no bother and it’s good to feel you’re helping someone out, and sometimes you have interesting conversations.

Perhaps you can have interesting conversations but I am not
so sure that it is wise to take hitchhickers in your car.
Stella do you hitch hike sometimes or do you have a husband
with a car?

How the heck have we gone from German pensions to giving lifts to hitchhiker’s?:astonished:

1 Like