People's vote march

Quite a few people here! A bit difficult to judge exactly how many from within the crowd itself.

Phone coverage struggling as well, probably too many phones for the cell towers.

14 Likes

Brilliant that you’re there Paul…! x :slight_smile:

Ruptly are live streaming it…their live stream keeps glitching a bit too…but looks to be thousands and thousands of people…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sxV7C3EFeo

2 Likes

Can’t see Jezza, oh wait he’s hundreds of miles away campaigning for the local elections in May. I thought Brexit was the biggest upheaval to hit the UK for decades so expected him to join other opposition party leaders to show solidarity, clearly I know nothing.

1 Like

Good for you! :+1::clap:

I was intending to go too but couldn’t find anyone to go with me and didn’t want to go alone.

Let’s hope that there are sufficient numbers to get it noticed.

2 Likes

Guardian live-streaming…x :slight_smile:

Looking at the aerial footage there has to be a million plus people there with you Paul…!

Brexit: Thousands attend people’s vote march in London – watch live - YouTube

And the revoke article 50 and stay in the EU petition is currently at 4 million 335 thousand and 375 signatures…x :slight_smile:

Now 4,337,268…!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

1 Like

The BEEB are reporting “hundreds of thousands” way to go BBC, play it down why don’t you?

2 Likes

I’ve read that Nigel Farage has rejoined the March to Leave and has 200 supporters with him, he says the People’s Vote March are not the majority…perhaps he failed GCSE maths.

5 Likes

Perhaps we shouldn’t count the Brexi-chickens before they’re hatched…?

We had fun! No idea if it will help, but we tried.

6 Likes

I didn’t get all the way to parliament - in the end could not physically get past Whitehall Place because of the crowd. Going to wander off and find some food/the way back to Paddington.

6 Likes

The BBC are reporting the organisers estimate of over a million, but the headline is still hundreds of thousands which very much plays it down.

Will it do any good? Given May’s and Leadsom’s remarks regarding the petition I doubt it. But to dismiss the march because seventeen million people failed to turn up on college green would be a mistake. At least it would in normal circumstances but we have seen that despite a very close referendum the views of sixteen million people count for nothing and the government’s lack of a mandate for a hard Brexit has not prevented it for pursuing exactly that, and countenancing an even harder and more extreme exit.

Frankly I hope May goes but I’m not sure her replacement will be any better.

The Tories are not fit to govern. The crisis IMO stems from the fact that labor are not fit to govern either - at least not with Corbyn at the helm.

I am neither surprised nor bothered that he was not supporting the march. He is after all a Eurosceptic, but what sticks in my craw is that he won’t just come out and honestly state his position, there’s always evasion and vacillation to the point of out and out dishonesty.

I’d have more respect for him if he stated his position and appointed, say Keir Starmer, to run the practicals of Labour’s Brexit policy.

Anyway I feel a little better for having taken part.

14 Likes

Well good on you for going. You’ll remember that you tried…these are unique moments.

2 Likes

Pat on back coming across the airwaves.
Thank you on behalf of those who were unable to go.

1 Like

*rsehole…

1 Like

On the other hand,

I’m not sure what the march proves. There’s a lot of folks out with placards but so what? It might be an unpopular observation but London broadly voted remain and it’s easier to protest on your doorstep isn’t it? I much prefer ballots to demonstrations as everyone with a view can express it “locally”.

1 Like

It wasn’t just Londoners, far from it. The train down was packed, lots of people on the train has friends coming from elsewhere and were reporting the trains they were travelling on were full as well. I spoke to Mancunians, Geordies, Expats and several others who had come long distances.

2 Likes

I’m not belittling it but I’m not sure what it really says that hasn’t been said already. What’s your view Paul?

The march proves that a lot of people have woken up to the reality of brexshit