People's vote march

I’m not sure what that means but it seems the same people come out for the same side of the argument. Not convinced we are seeing anything new or “converts”. I think people get out on the streets if they have to. Perhaps we haven’t reached the point yet where leavers feel they must protest, it feels very counter revolutionary at this time.

I wouldn’t get out of bed to demonstrate for a no deal brexit but I might if the referendum looked like it was being ignored.

@james

I am back in the UK at the moment and was reaaly keen to go but I couldn’t convince anyone last night to join me.

It could have been a laugh to meet up.

We could have held up a Survive France flag!

(I am unsure how I would get on with the march as I don’t like faffing round in crowds (ie shopping centres) and like to walk quickly A to B which is slightly missing the point!)

1 Like

It was excruciatingly slow, my back (which always suffers if I stand for a long time) is knackered.

Leavers are usually very vociferous on social media, I’m sure somecould be persuaded to march - oh, yes, about 200 of them :slight_smile:

Seriously…

I’ve already given some of my views on whether it will make much difference. To turn to a couple of additional points that you made - does it demonstrate many “converts”, probably not - in any case we know the opinion polls are still running very close. Does it “say anything new” - no (does it have to?); Does it demonstrate that there is a majority for a further referendum - again, probably not, there were a lot of Revoke posters as well.

But as a demonstration that people are not satisfied with the current handling of Brexit or that serious consideration needs to be given to a softer Brexit, no Brexit or asking the public again I think that it was a pretty convincing one.

The thing about Brexit is that there is no single version which more than a handful will support.

No-one wants no-deal. Even the ERG don’t want no-deal although they probably don’t realise it yet (well, a couple might profit from it but I actually doubt that a majority even of the ERG will do so). You’ll quickly see the “you should have negotiated a better deal” narrative (i.e acceptance that things are shit but denial that it’s their fault) if we leave with no deal.

No-one much wants May’s deal either, especially as it’s not that great a deal.

After that, what? Labour haven’t got as far as a concrete proposal - well, there’s “Common Market 2.0” but I don’t think that is beyond the “just an idea” stage, it’s certainly not policy. It also has the marked difficulty that it involves being in EFTA and the EFTA Nations have politely but fairly firmly said they don’t want us - had the groundwork been started two and a half years ago maybe we’d have swung it, but we have blotted our copy-book too often for it to be feasible now.

Don’t forget that for everyone who marched there will be half a dozen who wanted to but could not. Don’t forget that the People’s Vote campaign has had a million or nearly a million out on the streets not once but twice.

Given that 85% think Brexit is being mishandled, no-one can agree on any actual Brexit plan, nearly 5 million people have signed a petition asking to stop Brexit and a million people have taken to the streets you would expect the government to sit up and take a bit of notice.

Except that the government is presided over by a psychotic, sleep deprived, megalomaniac with tin-pot dictator aspirations who has cloth ears.

11 Likes

Mark Gino Francois has the cheek to call Jim Naughtie a highly paid bigot. Fails to recognize the puffed up highly paid bigot that he sees in his shaving mirror every morning.

4 Likes

That was the same for me on the previous march. Oh and the back ache, could not get to this one so well done Paul.

The petition and yesterday’s march will have little effect on TM’s thinking, the cabinet might persuade her to step down in lieu of supporting her deal but only parliament can stop Brexit and with Jezza fixed on his version of it rather than anything else I think it will still go ahead.

It has slowed considerably, with all the media exposure I would have expected it to build quickly. This echoes the sentiments from quite a few that they want to embarrass Tusk, and Barnier, whilst denying the EU our 39 billion.

@anon88169868 well done for standing up for what you believe. Even if we dont agree. I hope your back improves :+1:

1 Like

Great post Paul and fabulous link - cheers! :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

The Tories are acting as a bunch of self serving zealots.
The latest news is that they have told Theresa May that they will try to get her deal through if she steps down as Party Leader.
They ate hoisted with their own petard because they backed her in the Vote of Confdence brought by their own right wing.
Gove is being talked of as a temporary replacement.
Whilst I really want to see the back of TM, Gove is no better.
Apparently Philip May has been a power behind the throne!

Oh dear :face_vomiting:

I lose patience with politicians at this point - if May’s deal is so rubbish that they cannot support it, why does it suddenly become palatable if she steps down?

4 Likes

Simple Paul, if TM’s deal gets through then the Tories continue in power whereas if it fails pressure will grow for a GE which they certainly don’t want.

1 Like

For both Rosie and I, much of the benefit of attending is personal.

Seeing so many thousands of people who are as frustrated, alarmed and angry as we are was cathartic, though some of the stories we shared with fellow marchers were distressing.

You get no sense of the depth of feeling or magnitude of the crowd from the pictures, though the Guardian piece on people’s reasons for marching resonated.

I am very pleased to have made the effort and whllst i doubt there will be any formal recognition it cannot be dismissed by any but the most entrenched Brexiteer.

Viva la.revolucion!

8 Likes

Exactly.
Self serving pigs.

1 Like

Except there is no credible opposition so poles have proven over the last few weeks so they would be re elected.

1 Like

A couple more photos from yesterday as I was struggling to upload anything.

5 Likes

Hard to say how the nation will choose between two broken, essentially unelectable parties. Rather like a further referendum I think it will actually be wide open with no outcome a foregone conclusion.

Ditto :slight_smile:

Yes, I realise this - my question was mostly rhetorical.

I can see that one could switch from not supporting to supporting if it is a case of “I think this deal is not a good one and will not support it” to “I think this deal is not a good one but all the alternatives are much worse and we are staring at the deadline” but supporting it simply because May is desperate to get it passed and you can use your vote as leverage to get her to step down is beyond any pretence of the national interest.

Even more distasteful - there was the suggestion on “Breakfast” this morning that - should indicative voting suggest consensus could be built around a softer Brexit TM’s deal would be wheeled out again using the IV results to frighten the ERG into supporting TM.

It’s all stinks.

[yes, I know “that’s politics for you”]

Edit: In passing I note that the BBC now has the “one million” figure in the headline (but still down playing it as simply the organiser’s estimate rather than a confirmed figure and it’s no longer on the BBC home page whereas some story about a window cleaner who likes to clean road signs for the “greater good” is still there).

Leave Means Leave…

Attempting to make the whole situation look a little bit better Farage appeared on the BBC Radio 4 Today and came up with a very fanciful way to make the march look more appealing.

The Brexit Party MEP was asked by presenter Mishal Husain how many people he believed would be at the march when it came to a conclusion next weekend.
I don’t know. In spirit, I should think about 20 million right now. Something like that.
It doesn’t really matter does it. Its the symbolism of it that matters.