People's vote march

One thing that has not been made clear enough over the last few months is that the withdrawal agreement is merely a framework to help shape Brexit during the transition period, it is not the final deal, with May gone a different approach, perhaps a softer Brexit or revoking A50 are all still possible.

Paul, I read on Twitter (yes I know it’s Twitter!) that the police estimate is 2 million.

2 Likes

AFAIK the Met no longer publish their estimates (although things still “leak”, of course) and the Torygraph (predictably) is reporting the turnout was much lower.

1 Like

Apologies if this has already been posted or if you have already seen it but I just got home and saw https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47680979

I was there, but this is extraordinary. If you saw my last post I have to recant - You do get a special view from the streets, but the view from the air is awesome.

1 Like

I have no idea how true this is but crowd analysis experts (apparently there is such a thing) estimate the maximum amount of people to be around 625,000 and considerably less than a million. But still one of the biggest marches in London. Brexit March numbers

2-4 people per square metre sounds fair - I’d worked out a rough guesstimate using 4km for the length of the route and 1000 people in a 20x20m square - with the narrowest parts of the route at about the 20m and the widest 40m giving a very conservative estimate of about 300,000. In fact I think that the crowd density was a lot more than 1000 people in 40m2 in many places.

BUT, that is the “static” capacity of the route which was full from about 1:15 to at least 4:30 and some people said as late as 5:30 so there were possibly up to three “refreshes” of the static capacity as people marched along the streets. That helicopter footage was just a 9 minute snapshot of the march.

In short 2 million is almost certainly OTT but 1 million is really pretty plausible.