Petition: Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU

3 Likes

The Revoke A50 petition is now at 5.7m
Have you shared it? Nobody opted for this mess.
Here is Gove lying about Brits in the EU pre ref

1 Like

And, in many ways the broad applicability is the problem - the fact that many people can sign who were not (and probably will not) be eligible to vote in a referendum gives the government even more scope to ignore the result.

Signatures are still being added but at a much slower rate than last week, I think it will peter out between 6 & 7 million. Pretty respectable and, in almost any other circumstance, a strong indicator of public feeling but it wonā€™t demonstrate in itself that there is a majority for Remain.

Thatā€™s not to say it is not of any use - weā€™re about to start a process of indicative votes and I am sure it will swing at least some MPs to vote to support a softer Brexit or to revoke A50.

There has been some reporting today of the clear lead ā€˜remainā€™ now has in the polls (about 55%) - and even some recognition of this by MPs.
This is an interesting analysis:
http://www.no2brexit.com/polls.htm

To be debated 1 Aprilā€¦government response in this article

Polls are often wrong. I give them no credence whatsoever regardless of what they purport to show.

But your links actually support the accuracy of polls David.

lol - I thought they would. I view polls as thought leadership - whether true or not they often support the losing side, maybe that works who knows. I suppose what I am saying to you, Geof, is that its actual votes that count.

Incidentally remain might be ahead - Iā€™m not saying they arenā€™t - what I am saying is donā€™t rely on a poll.

Unfortunately the margin for error is larger than the margin between Leave and Remain - and no-one knows how the campaign would play out.

1 Like

The government has responded to the ā€œRevoke Article 50 and remain in the EUā€ petition and has announced that it will debate it in Westminster on Monday.

The petition has so far garnered more than 5.7m signatures.

Here is the full text of the response by the Department for Exiting the European Union:

This government will not revoke article 50. We will honour the result of the 2016 referendum and work with parliament to deliver a deal that ensures we leave the European Union.

It remains the governmentā€™s firm policy not to revoke article 50. We will honour the outcome of the 2016 referendum and work to deliver an exit which benefits everyone, whether they voted to leave or to remain.

Revoking article 50, and thereby remaining in the European Union, would undermine both our democracy and the trust that millions of voters have placed in government.

The government acknowledges the considerable number of people who have signed this petition. However, close to three quarters of the electorate took part in the 2016 referendum, trusting that the result would be respected. This government wrote to every household prior to the referendum, promising that the outcome of the referendum would be implemented. 17.4 million people then voted to leave the European Union, providing the biggest democratic mandate for any course of action ever directed at UK government.

British people cast their votes once again in the 2017 general election where over 80% of those who voted, voted for parties, including the opposition, who committed in their manifestos to upholding the result of the referendum.

This government stands by this commitment.

Revoking article 50 would break the promises made by government to the British people, disrespect the clear instruction from a democratic vote, and in turn, reduce confidence in our democracy. As the prime minister has said, failing to deliver Brexit would cause ā€œpotentially irreparable damage to public trustā€, and it is imperative that people can trust their government to respect their votes and deliver the best outcome for them.

Itā€™s funny - I thought the choice on the referendum was ā€œLeave the EUā€ - not ā€œMishandle leaving the EU with no clear plan regarding the manner of doing so causing irreparable harm to our democracy, economy, international standing, welfare, parliamentary sovereignty and sanity; irredeemably split the nation, Tory party and parliament in the process; incite the population against rightfully elected representatives; waste billions doing soā€.

5 Likes

Just a simple misunderstanding thenā€¦:wink:

1 Like

Revoke the Government.

5 Likes

Oh, please!

1 Like

The only possible response to the govt response is:

Oh please do f*** off

And take your F***ing Brexshite mandatewith you.

*Beyond exasperated *

8 Likes

Iā€™m with you on that Cat - the more I read and hear what is going on these last few days, and all the mealy-mouthed words spouted by that damn robot, I just want to leave this place once and for all.

It isnt that the PM or the other jerks in parliament are blind to the feelings in the country, they are deliberately courting the mob with baubles to win their vote. Best for the Nation? Dont give me that.

The most shameless and cynical bunch of shysters I have ever seen!!!

At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a maskā€¦

2 Likes

What I cant get my head around is thisā€¦

May says that she HAS to get Brexshit over the line because to do otherwise would break the promises made by Government to the Peopleā€¦

Since when have the UK population EVER believed that the UK Government have kept their promises on anything - and since when have the UK Government EVER given a flying bollock about KEEPING their promises???

2 Likes