Petition to revoke Article 50

Mandy My mom in uk is absolutely thrilled with how many people are signing the petition to revoke article 50…and absolutely thrilled with how many people were on the people’s march…she reckons there’s no way The People can be ignored on this…x :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Let’s hope so Helen xxx

2 Likes

I’m sorry but that is just wrong and undermines it. Also think it’s a bit foolish to declare this on a public forum.

1 Like

Oh for goodness sake! One extra vote is going to make no difference.

Obviously I’m shaking in my boots, are you sending the Police!!!???

7 Likes

I couldn’t care less what you or anyone else thinks.

7 Likes

I think that to declare for a deceased partner with a still valid email address and who you know would endorse the petition is OK. What’s not OK is to declare hundreds or thousands of times, using a bot. I don’t think this is possible with this particular petition since it does require to click on a link in the email reply. Although some smart alec will no doubt correct me.

2 Likes

That is about the most ridiculous and UNFEELING comment that I have had to read on here for as long as I can remember.

I am so sorry Mandy !

10 Likes

Thank you Catharine. :hugs:

I imagine that the poster doesn’t realise that I lost my husband very recently.

Happily, most SFN members are supportive and caring.

11 Likes

Understand your thinking entirely Mandy. Good for you, to hell with what anyone else thinks, let them go through your pain before they start commenting !

6 Likes

And so recent that he was no doubt standing behind you…looking over your shoulder with his hand over yours guiding the mouse…:heart: xxxx

7 Likes

5 Likes

I made a unilateral decision to sign OH up to the petition AND used more than one email address. I realise the error of my ways and will be handing myself over to the authorities at the earliest opportunity…:wink:

7 Likes

I signed the petition too but realistically it can’t do much except get the topic aired in Parliament with a bit of luck. Unfortunately the majority of MPs are against a second referendum even though they may be Remainers.

1 Like

Holding a further referendum is fraught with problems, even more so now it would require a long enough extension to A50 to have to participate in the EU elections.

I am not holding much hope for anything other than no deal or May’s deal simply because those are the only two options that can be done within the currently available time-frames.

Hopefully some progress can be made next week, rather than May just kicking the can again to a vote on her deal on the 9th with no deal as the only other option.

Never say never…! x :slight_smile:

“ Public discussion about halting Brexit was considered politically toxic until just days ago. But that shifted last week as the prospect of crashing out drew closer and the number of petition signatures rose dramatically.

A cross-party group of parliamentarians is now examining the possibility of cancelling the Brexit process, following concerns that Theresa May could end up backing Tory MPs who favour a no-deal departure if her own withdrawal agreement is rejected again. They are planning to table an amendment to Brexit legislation closer to the day of Britain’s scheduled departure from the EU.

The European court of justice ruled late last year that Britain could unilaterally revoke article 50 although not just to buy time. Writing on theguardian.com, the Tory MP Phillip Lee said that the people had to be given an opportunity to reconsider Brexit and that one way of allowing this to happen would be to revoke article 50.

“Mrs May should ensure that the UK has the time and the space to do this in a properly considered way – either by seeking a long extension of article 50, or by taking back control and revoking it altogether.”

The petition to revoke is now both the most popular since parliament set up the online site, and has also been signed at the fastest rate. Parliament is now obliged to consider it for debate, but MPs see the timing of announcing any bid to revoke article 50 as crucial.

1 Like

Indeed.

I think the only thing that one can currently say with any certainty is that everything is uncertain.

I’d really like to see May forced to bring her deal back on Tuesday - then, if voted down, it taken off the table for good.

I think what we’ll actually see is that May will shy away from a vote she knows she will lose while all the time trying to manipulate MPs and back them into a corner whence she can bring back her zombie corpse of a deal and get it through by political trickery and treachery.

2 Likes

This whole debacle has been, and is still being, driven by fear.

Politicians fear to loose their jobs - especially in Leave voting constituencies - should they be seen to be voting for anything but leaving however that comes about. More importantly, it was reported that their voting intentions could be being driven by a fear to their, or their family’s, safety!

The referendum was based on fear on both sides of the argument - fear as forwarded by Leave that the EU would force us to accept the Euro plus millions of immigrants from Turkey and heaven knows where else and fear as spouted by Remain that the country would implode the day after the referendum should we vote to Leave.

Politicians, by their very nature, are out to feather their own nest (with the exception of a few noble specimens). This is true from grass roots Parish Councils all the way to the top of Government. I could give you root and branch examples of which I am personally aware and have had experience of but this is not the topic for that discussion - suffice to say it is background evidence for the case for the prosecution m’lud!

To revoke Article 50 will take a Politician (actually a very high number of them) with balls carried in wheelbarrows to get through the minefield of HoC procedures. Same for a referendum. All down to the fear that they have of their constituents opinions of them!

I dont think we have Politicians of sufficient gravitas to carry this through. And as for Leaders - no hope!

May wants to get her deal through any way she can - not because it will be good for the country, but that it will look good on her CV. No other reason. Her pontificating that it is ‘the will of the people’, as evidenced by her ‘speech’ last week, proves it. She is not so stupid as to see the opposition building against leaving the EU - the petition, the march yesterday - but she is so determined to make the Conservative party the party that brought to the masses what it desired, that she is deliberately ignoring all sensible advice. She knows she has this one chance to ensure that the Tories remain in power for a very long time - give the people what they want, regardless that you KNOW it is bad, coupled with a very weak Opposition, and you can almost count the votes in your favour come GE time before the crosses have been placed in the box.

A very low level of governing as I have ever seen.

6 Likes

Spot on!

Thank you @anon89172871 @Helen6 @anon88169868 @ChrisK for your kindness and support. It’s very much appreciated as always.

9 Likes

You know that is what he would have done , so you acted in his behalf. Well done

3 Likes