Phone call scam - beware!

Keith, is he language English or French when you answer? Given you have a French phone number?

Hi Kent et al. Is there any chance these calls are costing you all? I ask the question seriously. Twice recently Amazon and apple from online contact with their ā€™ Supportā€™ have called me at home.both have my phone contact details anyway one accent was American, the other Irish, sothe the calls were genuine, both people helped me marginally, after a very long time - but T end of both said said "thank you for calling ???. I did also venture to say helloā€¦yes? They said ā€¦I hope Iā€™m not paying for the call then, because you called me! To which their was no reply. I wait to see my next phone bill! Iā€™ll let you know! My bills are regular in amount every month, usually! So wonder who pays your calls from Indian accent ?MS?

Yes indeedy ! This one seems to have been doing the rounds. I've had it too - but I only use Macs.

And, because of the ridiculous number of scammers and cold-callers recently, I've stopped answering our land line unless the caller's name comes up; otherwise, I just let the answerphone get it. It's sad, inconvenient and very annoying that this should be the case. If someone dared to scam me face-to-face, they might well find themselves dining through a tube - but, on the phone, you're fair game. Grrrrrrrr!

This scam has been around for a few years now. They called me some months ago telling me there was a problem with my Windows system. I asked them what computer and system I was using and they said it was a problem with Microsoft. I then told them I only use Apple Mac computers (which is true) and did not use Windows or Microsoft system software. The phone went quiet so I hung up!

We get loads of sales calls on my Internet phone which we only use for outgoing calls. When it rings now, I either ignore it and it goes to messaging or, if I do answer and get silence or hear talking in the background, I hang up. We also have a landline for incoming calls and get hardly any time wasters on it.

Yep, had one of these calls too. Told'em all my windows need cleaning and would they care to call round and meet my broom wielding wife. Funny. Fella rang off.

Nice one Steve. I wonder if I can download some of that hypnotically boring piped musack that used to be in the background everywhere to put next to the phone and then go away to let the speaker get p*ed off without me playing games.

Depending on my mood and what I'm doing, I either play along with them, put the phone down next to the speaker so they can listen to the IPlayer with me or just give them a blast of harmonica.

I have had this call many times - I now play dumb & say "Windows? - no thanks we are fully double glazed!" The conversation goes on like this for a while then eventually they lose interest!

Like it - also I remember Oor Wullie and the Broons, now youā€™ve mentioned them the Sunday Post or Mail if memory serves! Iā€™d have bought them At that price, just to relive some childhood again :slight_smile:

Also never a truer word said in jest!

Having been pestered on a fairly regular basis at one time, when they said they were from Microsoft replying no you aren't now !!!! off, not been contacted for some time but not sure which is the lesser of the two evils been contacted by scammers or the telling off from my wife for being rude on the phone

Shirley, what was once dog eat dog in this world has become he/she who scams best. Madness is upon us all in a way, plus morality out of the window.

More like a sheep on their shoulder when the main diet is chips.

Old Oor Wullie and Broons books have a collectors' value. I got Ā£40 for a 1962 one back in 2008! Unbelievable, now what was this thread about again?

They are not the only ones targeting expats Brian - Iā€™m not naming names - but think SFN is providing a good starting point for many of them, also ex-pats. I e had a few interesting discussions recently with some English people, especially those living alone!

What better place to feel the need for ā€˜English companyā€™ and be open and honest as many of them are, me included!

Poor Dundee ! At least the local dentists earned a bob or two.

It's normal the jocks have a chip on their shoulder when their main diet consists of sheeps stomach !

An auntie in Portgordon up in the frozen tundra near Fraserburgh used to send down an Oor Wullie or The Broons every xmas, still got them somewhere (memo - big clearout needed)

Famous for Oor Wullie, The Broons, Ghenghis Khan and everything and anything vaguely edible cooked in lard.

Nick studied there, no wonder he is such a slim chap ;-)

'Dundee' ? That's only a short hop to Ulan Bator !!

That's just plain Doric, my lot spoke something that sounded fifty percent Norwegian, even a generation down in Dundee.

Late wife was Aberdeen and her family were/are Buckie & Peterhead etc etc and it's like a mixture of double dutch and swahili !!!

In desperate attempts to get rid of the b*s I would happily risk sounding like Dai Singh from Port Talbot. It would normally have been NE Scots which was my parents' home language and I still do quite well. It is incomprehensible south of Aberdeen let alone south of the Equator.

Sounds ike a scene from 'It A'int Half Hot Mum' !

Every time I attempt an Indian accent it sounds more like Dai Llewellen from Carmarthen !