Planning permission needed? - opening up a blocked up window

If you are on very good terms with your Mairie, you could gently ask them how things stand… without any problem… and they might suggest you do a quick Préleable just to keep the records straight.

If not… at some stage it will get noted… but possibly not until after you have gone to the Happy Dogs’ Home…
New Owners will sort things out (if necessary)…

Most importantly, I would advise you to check and be sure that your property is correctly described (rooms/whatever) to your House Insurance folk… don’t want any hiccups…
quite possibly any alterations you’ve done, haven’t change stuff… but it’s worth being sure.

Whatever… don’t stress…

Oh @Stella , the Happy Dogs’ Home, sometimes that does seem a desirable destination. :grinning: Leaving things alone is what I will do, the bathroom window was created because a pre-existing one was covered by an extension we had built back in 2000 leaving no ventilation. As that was all above board, being built by a company run by the neighbouring Maire with all planning permissions obtained, I see no problems. In fact it might even be a legal necessity for all I know.

The shed, if anything, might be a showpiece of quirky in years to come. I built it on a slope by driving enormous fence post cupped spikes into the ground and then built all the sides up with horizontal boards fastened to the corner posts. 2 sides have windows, bought in a cheap job lot from Leroy’s some years before (I only needed one at the time but 3 were cheaper :astonished:).

However, not noticeable till well into the construction, one of the spikes must have hit rock and diverted somewhat leaving the shed, and the window, appearing to lean to one side. :rofl:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: now he tells us… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well done David.

No, the window added wasn’t included in the extension, we realised afterwards the full import of that regarding lack of ventilation and had a local artisan remove a small window in the new extension wall into a veranda which was later glazed in to the hole he made in the bathroom wall as it was no longer needed where it was.

I don’t know how well the 2 maires got on with each other but the planning obviously went through without a hitch. :smiley:

1 Like

Regarding the rule of specific planning permission within 500 metres of an historic building, in our case it was the village church. At our previous house we insisted that before we bought that agreement it principal was obtained for the construction of an in ground piscine which was duly approved. One of the stipulations was that the liner must not be blue and must be sable. The result was fantastic with the water looking like the Mediterranean. For 5/6 months of the year all the aeroplanes that flew over could see our lovely coloured piscine as it was so hidden from general view that it was only they who could see it. From October to May the winter cover was in place which was BLUE!!
We came to the conclusion that the world of planning is full of jobsworths.
Having worked in construction all my life I know it to be true🤣

We think the house is 1650-1750 based on the stone stairs and the evier style. NO idea how to get more info. It is marked on the Cassisis (sp?) map. Our guess is certainly that is why they bricked it up! Blind Freddie on a galloping horsecan see that a/ it is old and b/ it is a solid stone suround that has been rubbled in the middle!

1 Like

It’s quite a maze, trying to age many of the old properties…

Ours has a date carved into the lintel over the main door… 1845… so folk think that’s the date it was built.

But, the current 1845 house is actually made up of various small buildings, parts from the 12th century… and 1845 is the date that all the buildings were married into one decent sized dwelling…

How do you know this??

bits of it used to link with the church, whose date is known…
and it’s been “checked-out” by that many expert-historians over the years… it’s been quite fun.

1 Like

There are two different dates carved into lintels in our house BUT since it looks like a lot of the stone was nicked from elsewhere, I wouldn’t have any confidence in it :smiley:

A neighbour’s house has a most magnificient stone lintel over the fireplace… the lintel comes from a chateau which was destroyed in the year dot… by the English (they always smile gleefully at me when they mention that bit of history…)… and I always point out that it was long before my time and I can’t be held responsible. :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

We know the original castle was started in the late 12th century and finished in the late 15th century, the farm and barn on one side of the castle and the mill on the other have parts of the battlements built into them.
A lot of the castle was then rebuilt/converted into the present chateau which has two of the original towers and the sheriff court incorporated along with the main battlements and parts of the moat that went round the castle.
The oldest part of our farm that is dated is 1598.
I would love to be able to stand in our courtyard and go back in 50 year chunks too see how it has evolved and changed over the years.
We are in the same boat regarding doors and windows that have been filled in over the years, one in particular is a 10x6ft arched doorway into the end of the barn, the main doors are going to take a fair bit of replacing as well😆

1 Like

Have you seen the maps of the Cadastre Napoleonien? I have looked at those for our commune and surrounding communes. They are a bit unwieldy but very interesting. I found them on the website of our departmental archives. I believe they are available for the whole country.

1 Like

It’s so much fun…
I’m not sure how I found it, but yonks ago I found a map of sorts online… which showed my collection of bits/buildings as having a tower…
I’ve always fancied having a Tower, admiring them on other properties as we travelled around… thus discovering that there had been a Tower here, one once upon a time, absolutely made my day.

2 Likes

One place to start is

The dropdown menu has options to look at different time periods in France, including the Cassini maps

My favourite place to look at old French maps though is David Rumsey’s website. His copies of the Cassini maps are superb. You can browse for free.

https://www.davidrumsey.com/

5 Likes

I’m partly convinced our old bit of house would have had a slight tower at the front, just no way of finding out!

Not seen that site, I’ll see if it is clearer than the one I used!

1 Like

Another interesting site is this one

http://cassini.ehess.fr/fr/html/

The maps are not as clear as David Rumsey’s but they are in colour and the site does include a very good legend which shows you things like nunneries have flags on top pointing in one direction, monasteries have their flag pointing in the other!

1 Like

I think that is the one I used. Couldn’t find it on David R’s site will have a look when I’m feeling better.

I’ve just had a look and they’ve made changes to their site. He’s got so many maps and atlases it’s become quite a challenge to find stuff. Top right hand corner there is a search box.
Anyway, I’ve managed to find the 204 maps and the following might be those you are looking for:

sheet 70 Perigueux: https://tinyurl.com/hbf79e2e
sheet 71 Bergerac: https://tinyurl.com/vvdxzum8
sheet 73 Castillonez: https://tinyurl.com/ysv25cnk

Let me know if there are any more you would like.
Bottom righthand corner there is a magnifier and arrows to move around the page. Enlarge it and you’ll find the detail is amazing

1 Like

Agree. We wanted to block up an existing door and to make an existing window into French doors (garage converted by previous French owner). Our builder said we could just do it, I thought better of it and checked the rules. Needed a DP. (It is a change to the exterior of the house). It was all signed off within about 6 weeks but after rafts of pages and DP copies (x5!!) plus, a couple of trips to the service d’urbanisme.

2 Likes