Please advise: what this means

Hi!

I want to buy a used car that will not have too many problems and can pass the CT inspection. I think I found one, but would like your advice on what the following means.

This is for a 1989 Peugeot 205. The seller states: “la carte grise peut etre faite en véhicule de collection ce qui permet de faire le CT tous les 5 ans au lieu de 2”. The English translation by Google states it to be: the registration card can be made in a collection vehicle which allows to do the CT every 5 years instead of 2.

The seller goes on to state (translated from French):
registration card up to date and the inspection will be done for the sale.

Does this sound good so far?

Thanks for your input.

Simple.
The car is of an age where it can be registered as a vehicle collection (an old crock lol) and instead of a CT (MOT equiv in France) every 2 years it can be done every 5.
I shortened the title for you Mary as the text is also in the body of your post.
As with any purchase of a car - the maxim is buyer beware. Perhaps take someone with you when you view - if it’s too good to be true - it might be!
Will the CT be done under the vehicle collection rules or just as standard 2 years? If so, you will need to re-register it as vehicule collection but I’m not certain if the CT done before that re-registration will stand or automatically revert to 5 years on re-registration.
I guess you could insist on the seller doing the re-registration collection but he might not of course be prepared to do so without being re-reimbursed the cost.

1 Like

Any second hand car that you buy should have at least 18 months to run on its CT so getting it through it’s next test should be some distance down the road.

1 Like

Mary… did you see my message???

and the note about @anon90504988

1 Like

At what age do a car become except from ct

Any change in CT requirements depends on its change to collection status. Until the change the 2 year rule continues to apply.
Here is a guide - FFVE CT regs.pdf (44.4 KB)

1 Like

I wonder if there any restrictions concerning Voitures de Collection? e.g. annual kilometrage, restrictions imposed by insurers, etc.
Worth checking out.

There are no restrictions on my VdC policy with MMA.

There is a clause I have seen from various Insurers … about the CGC vehicle NOT being used for “work” … but not mileage restrictions.

Some Insurers will allow you to use the CGC vehicule to get to work (possibly/briefly) if your modern vehicle is insured with that same company and is broken down…
However, that is something to checkon… at the time of taking out the Insurance…

1 Like

You are correct Stella, they are not allowed to be used commercially. As that has never concerned me it didn’t register as being important. :frowning:
My VdC has no restrictions on mileage, location or even driver.
The very reduced insurance premium that I pay to insure it is based on the fact that I have an ordinary everyday car insured with the same company.

1 Like

Yes, indeed I did, Stella. You are so helpful as always, thank you!!