"Please God, take me now"

Whilst speaking with a bunch of French friends, the inevitable “Brexit” question popped up…
“What will you do after Brexit?”
After several expletives about my whole attitude to the current epidemic of rank stupidity, that seems to have laid waste to the (once great) British Isles, one of the friends said “You’ll just have to marry one of us to make sure you can stay…ha, ha, ha”
The conversation became a little more serious after that, as the point was made that this may eventually be the only surefire way, without all the “Nationality application” caper…
I’m in no particular hurry to tie the knot again (certainly not after the first time), but am wondering if people in a similar position to mine, would necessarily have to take this option…

Peoples’ (please correct the apostrophe if not right) thoughts would be appreciated

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure, but a friend told me that spouses don’t get automatic entitlement to stay in France.
If true love be the course then good luck, but there may still be residency paperwork involved if you wanted to stay permanently.

Correct Paul - just like the UK - no automatic entitlement.

Actually - there is not even birthright citizenship in the UK or France !

Birthright Citizenship

1 Like

I’m not quite sure what position you are in Bob. If you are in a position to qualify for a Carte de Sejour, even if you have not been resident for five years, the Interior Ministry has made it clear that you will be able to stay to reach that point.

Thank you both for that.
It sort of confirms what I thought; but at the same time, there’s, what’s referred by an English friend of mine, as the “10 year rule”…
Apparently, I can’t be removed as I’ve been here more than 10 years (16, though it only feels like 50)…then there’s this 15 year thing re. voting, etc., etc.,…which is largely why, when folks mention the “B” word in my presence, I stick my fingers in my ears & start humming loudly…I’ve been like this for 18 months or more

1 Like

:grin::wink::sunglasses: Some of us… including you by the sound of it… cannot be removed… France is stuck with us, if we choose to stay… unless we commit a naughty and/or get in trouble with the Law… :roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m relaxing, safe in the knowledge that France will tell me what to do… to keep the paperwork straight…

My reaction, when French pals mention Brexit… is to counter with “et les gilets jaunes ???” … which brings forth groans, raised eyebrows and… often… a bottle of the local eau de vie… hic… :hugs:

(the 10 year rule… is… I think… that after 10 years etc… your income (sufficient or too little) cannot be brought into the equation…)

Yep - here’s the legislation around the right to remain in France after 10 years of legal residency - no matter where you’re from!
https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCodeArticle.do?cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006070158&idArticle=LEGIARTI000006335180&dateTexte=&categorieLien=cid

Exactly what is eau de vie? Is it sold as such and where does one buy it? Also Peter Mayle used to go on about Marc and even after googling I had and still have no idea what it is, why it’s so expensive and where to buy it.

Generally, at least around here “eau de vie” is the hooch distilled (hopefully correctly) locally from whatever has been in abundance (pears, Apple’s, potatoes, old boots etc) and brewed up. It comes out at every social gathering or just between neighbours and friends. Served neat in little shot glasses, and absolutely lethal.:blush:

1 Like

when I sober up, I’ll tell you all about it… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It is alcohol brewed up from more or less anything… the distilling rights used to be handed down within the family… but this has been stopped. We still have a gentleman who visits at certain times of the year… and distils whatever has been simmering/oozing in vats, buckets etc in the dark recesses of the local barns or cellars…

amazing stuff… puts hairs on your chest and rips your tonsils out at the same time…

1 Like

I should also add… that if you get the opportunity for a “dégustation” where eau de vie is made/concocted… Grab the chance… sip various concoctions (only tiny sips) until you find the one you like…

the very best ones are smooth as silk and so tasty… mmm… just make sure you won’t have to be driving afterwards…

1 Like

I think Marc is what’s left when the grapes have been crushed…the grape skins if you like… “Eau-de-vie de marc de raisin” … but can someone give us a bit more details… hic, hic…

2 Likes

Marc is really just another name for eau de vie. But some of them are special like Marc de Bourgogne which has an AOC. It’s the result of the distillation of marcs de raisin.

Here’s an explanation in French with some very interesting new words!

D’une teneur minimum de 40 % du volume en alcool, il provient de la distillation dans l’alambic de la gène retirée du pressoir après pressurage : peaux de raisins, pépins, rafles (bois et queue de la grappe). Le " marc égrappé ", plus doux, est produit avec du raisin dont on a retiré la rafle.

1 Like

Easy to drink, but not so easy to get your head off the pillow the morning after.
Made with quinces here.
We now politely decline.

We have a wonderful vigneron, now bio, who makes a 20 year old Marc de Bourgogne.
Domaine Matthias at Chaintre.

1 Like

Having tickled my interest and my palate… I found this interesting article with super video… I can almost smell the fumes… hic hic

@Teresaship you might enjoy this…

1 Like

Not sure about the ten year bit, but there is a point about length of time being married to a French citizen to avoid the ‘marriages of convenience’ factor.

There is no doubt at all about being married to a French citizen being the easiest route though, and I think being over 65 (or is it 70?) also removes the formal language examination as well. Surprisingly perhaps my deafness meant my French wife (of 40 years) was on hand for all the verbal bits which was useful.
What they were interested in mainly was one’s commitment to France and not just through residency. Participation in the cultural life - at any level, was favorably regarded - eg Club Memberships or participation, plus basic knowledge of the French/EU political situation and structure, and easy history.

THey were most impressed with me having a modest tome in the Biblioteque Nationale, and my paintings of Napoleonic soldiers, which covered my less than perfect French!

1 Like

Thinking about the Marriage bit… I’m sure I read somewhere that the wife of so-and-so (Frenchman) was refused because she did not show commitment to French values… (refused to shake hands or some such… came as a shock to that couple, who thought it was a done deal.