Politics & Religion

Actually David it is the saddle sleeves that are more difficult.

Well Brian, my mother was a great knitter but she made one jumper that somewhere went wrong and it came out about 10 sizes too big.

Now bear in mind that even at that age and being a very keen sportsman, rugby, swimming, judo and etc, nobody would accuse me of being delicate. I came back from the Outward Bound school the Lake District at about 13 stone, and it was still too big by far.

Digressing, but later when I was first married went to do the wash in the local launderette, didn't know about mixing colours and managed to put in my lovely maroon sweater, also knitted by my mother but the right size, with the sheets on a boil wash.

New wife was not amused and the sweater wouldn't fit a doll but we had a lovely set of pale pink sheets.

It's the raglan sleeves that are the problem.

Couldn't agree more. Including I would show them the door if it happened to us.

Jane, I knit. I lived in Germany where men knitting is simply normal for so long I learned. In British terms I do it back to front, but then the rest of the world does drive on the wrong side of the road after all! Anyway, I think between us we might just brew up the antidote to participation some people are hinting at. So perhaps not here...

Now you are talking. I knitted my wedding dress, long and am now knitting multi-coloured socks for one of my grandsons. I often wonder how many millions of stitches I must have made over the fifty seven years I have been knitting.

Hi David

I would probably agree with you if the discussions were about knotting and etc, but you know perfectly well that they are not and in any event that is not for me at least the issue.

It is about mutual respect and courtesy to others on this board whose opinions you do not agree with, life experiences and values you do not necessarily share and with luck we leave the conversation informed, perhaps amused but always with a sense of a shared community.

And yes Brian, been at a dinner party like that and I threw them out of my home!

David, how's the cardigan coming along? ;-)

I read the same posts as you Peter some were a little over the top particularly from the newly arrived Black Square. But you see Peter people do get passionate about events like the Iraq War. Quite right too . If we went to talking about knitting patterns and the price of a stere of bois de chauffage I for one would not bother with this site.

With such grace and elegance, blonde head and well curved it might be a fat Norwegian, but who mentioned a wombat?

Are YOU calling MY pint a woman Brian?!!! Prepair to defend yourself. ;)

Nothing to misunderstand. I was NOT being serious, which sometimes appears to be the 'problem' (grrr, I hate that word).

I'm not quite sure I see your point Brian. There seems to be much talk about bruises, rows and browbeating and than you appear to say that this is all in a day's work as long as people remain polite. Did I misunderstand something? Surely...

Welllllll, Peter, dear Peter, have you never been at a dinner party where a debate had turned into a frenzied row? I have. I have also seen somebody, bruised and bumped face, the day after one that went really a bit more than a bit too far. Anyway, as is being said, if you don't like it then don't look or close your eyes if you do. The real losers are those who get rude or abusive but as such there are no winners because these threads are not actually competitions with a trophy for the victorious blatherer. Sometimes some of us are passionate, other times well informed people are browbeaten by opinionated fools who simply can't give up once they have stuck their oar in. Ultimately it is pick and choose, pick'n'mix even. The rules are simple, politeness being at the heart of that.

Don't worry, Peter...just look the other way and it'll go away!

Puppies are good. So are kittens. Snarling remarks about specific people/nationalities/mentalities are not!

Staying on the thread topic would help, I think.

That may be true but.. Ooooowwww look...... puppies

I agree entirely with you Veronique on this topic if not always anything else. We should be able to disagree without descending into personal abuse.

And Tobias, as for not reading the posts that is true but not the point I am trying to make.

Behind the abuse is usually a good point or a perspective that I may not have considered or I suppose may be factually incorrect and my insight may add to the discussion but I am not willing to contribute just to get abuse in return so ultimately we all lose (assuming of course what I am saying adds value.)

Anyway, I don't like wood burners and I am interested in the discussion about Chirac and Iraq

Obviously we can choose to read a comment or ignore it, but when you make an innocuous or well-meaning comment it seems natural to read the response to it (you might actually be waiting for thanks!!) and some things can't be unseen. For reasons best not gone into, some seem to feel that being snide or rude is being "honest" or "realistic", even if nothing in the original post or the ensuing responses encouraged any kind of unpleasantness.

Staying on the thread topic would help, I think.

Hello Peter,

I agree that some people seem to be very excitable, and let all self restraint fly away when alone on the computer.

However, there are rules here, it seems, and you don't have to read the posts.

Avoid "Iraq" "Chirac" etc and stay with wood burners, you should be fine.

Best regards