Pool needs shocking

I assume 1,36 mg/l is not the same as ppm or is it? Now I’m confused because there’s no way it could be that low after so much shock surely.

1l of water weighs 1kg - i.e 1000g or 1,000,000 milligrams so mg/l is the same as ppm.

1 Like

Thank you. Up until yesterday I had assumed this but ‘the idiot’s’ at the pool shop said do not add any more chlorine for a week so I assumed that I was reading it wrong.
I am so grateful as I now realise why I’m not
the back of this. Will definitely avoid the pool shop from now on. I will get my chlorine up tomorrow and buy the phosphate remover.
I assume I will be using a lot of chlorine until I get these phosphates down.
Once again thank you.

Meant to put 'Why I’m not breaking the back of this.

No not really, you’ll use a lot if the algae comes back (obviously) but it is important to keep the free chlorine level up until phosphates come down. I think you stopped the shock a little too early, I would wait until combined chlorine was 0.5ppm or less. You are correct when the chlorine is high there will be more combined chlorine around and things settle out as the level of free chlorine drops back but only really applicable when free chlorine is 10+ppm

1 Like

Just be aware that your water is likely to go cloudy for a while with the phosphate remover. If the shop has jolly jelly or Seaklear clarifier that can also help with the speed of removal

Thanks. It can’t be as bad as it was with the algae.

I had a similar problem with ours a couple of seasons ago. Bit the bullet, drained , cleaned and refilled. The cost of the water was probably less than the chemicals needed to put it right.

Well as it’s nearly September I’ll try and sort it because it will not be in use much now. But yes if it was June I’d probably feel the same.
I think next year I’ll be less polite and make my visitors shower before swimming. Plus at the first sign of harvest the cover will be on. :joy:
My husband says I worry too much about the pool and I think he’s right.

Sadly that argument usually falls apart due to the new water not arriving just as we would like.
Fresh fill has no CYA stabiliser so chlorine burns off completely in around 2 hours. Depending on where you are there could be issues like I have with alkalinity at 220-240ppm so the pH rises constantly. There can also be phosphate in the incoming water to deal with. Some areas have to pay double for the water, supply and calculated treatment from the water meter reading, some pay treble. Some areas have iron in the water supply, another thing to deal with.

Teresa, it’s a learning curve, once you get the hang of it, like most things they become easier. Automatic dosing can help a lot. The biggest issue I see is resistance to change, the industry doesn’t want change that way they can still operate their black art of pool maintenance, strangely utilising an umbilical to your bank account!
Last year I didn’t do anything to put my pool away for the winter, just removed the pump. I left it until May and watched it turn into a swamp. The phosphate level was high at the end of last summer but I just left it…
I did this to emulate some of the pools I have to work on, it still didn’t take more than 3 days to get back into condition and 2 more to clear the water up, from a swamp.

1 Like

The biggest thing I’ve learned is to trust my instincts. I knew I hadn’t quite solved my algae problem but rather than inconvenience visitors i tried to manage it rather than sort it. Never again.

Maybe you could have told them it is a natural swimming pond :smiley:

1 Like