Pool not level

I have just recently discovered that our new in-ground pool is not level. One corner is approximately 5 cm lower than the others.

We had been waiting to install the plage while the back-filled soil around the pool was given time to settle (it is a steel-construction pool with liner) but this is now proving impossible because the margelles are not level.

I have a meeting tomorrow with the company who installed the pool but am not certain whether I should insist on a complete re-installation or accept palliative work which will level the margelles if not the pool. Indeed I am not sure now how to proceed.

My instinct is to call for an independent expert to assess the situation and any remedy that the pool company propose. If necessary that expert could testify to a Tribunal. The pool company itself is very well respected and carries full insurance.

Any advice would be very helpful.

If it were me I’d insist on a complete re-installation, there is simply no excuse for getting this wrong.

1 Like

I’m no pool expert, but I do have one, and I agree, it must be rebuilt. It sound like something has failed or there is subsidence. If it’s not re-done you would never be happy with it.

1 Like

I am pleased to report that the proprietor of the pool company fully accepts responsibility for the problem even though it was caused by his sub-contractor and is arranging rectification as soon as possible. This will mean that the rectification and the subsequent landscaping work can be completed before Spring next year.

I was aided in talking with the pool company by a French friend who acted as my ‘conseil’ and was accepted by the other side as my legitimate representative. He is the one who will write the confirmation of what has been agreed between us.

My ‘conseil’ also advised me to talk with the agent for my habitation insurance since they will become involved if I am not satisfied at any point and will negotiate with the pool company’s insurers. I would not have known to do that.

1 Like