Pope Francis rebuffs worshippers trying to kiss his ring

I’ve never attended a Quaker Meeting and would certainly be interested to do so. I really have no idea… are there Quakers in France…??

(Incidentally, I didn’t read Peter’s post as being derisory… as he explained… this was how it appeared to him.)

Edit: I found this site about Quakers in France.

https://www.quakersenfrance.org/

Yes I know of this site.
I tried to meet up with Quakers here in Burgundy, but they were not as welcoming as Cirencester.
Everything is simple and the first thing that impressed me was the eclectic library.
It is a silent Meeting, as are most in UK.
It takes a while to get used to, but is really worthwhile.
I was what is known as an Attender, if you are not “born in”, you have to be accepted, which is quite a prolonged procedure.
There is no clergy and men and women are totally equal.
There are a lot of Quaker Meetings in North Lancashire and Cumbria, where I lived.
Jim was very impressed because they took the trouble to ring him and ask how he was getting on when I was in hospital having my mastectomy.
I am sure that you would find it uplifting.
The first Quakers were extremely brave people. They refused to take an oath as they always spoke truth.
This prevented them from going to University and so they became business people, with great success as they were honest and trustworthy.

1 Like

Your thoughtful comment duly noted and will be further reflected on, Jane.

Peter

I appreciate your open-mindedness, Stella, in judging my report on the Baptist communion. I think there is a place for good-natured humour in the accounts of all religious goings-on, and foremost in that respect I would count Jews and Roman Catholics, especially Irish communicants in the latter.

I certainly intended no offence. As a (Buddhist) chaplain I have always strived to think, act and purpose ecumenically, and join whole-heartedly and reverently in any religious ceremony to which I am invited. There are few in which I have not been welcomed on that basis. I am no stranger to the Society of Friends either, and again have enjoyed the hospitality of Quakers and SoF meeting rooms to conduct meetings, meditations, and ceremonies for and with Buddhists over three decades.

Buddhists value humour in practice, although the idiom of its humour is decidedly rooted in South Asian, Chinese, or Japanese culture and less than rib-ticklng for northern Europeans as it might otherwise be. :thinking::neutral_face::pensive:

Oh dear, would Jesus have slapped her hand? Very entertaining.

I realise you are seeing this in light-hearted manner… :joy:

but who knows the truth of the recent happening… things are not always as clearcut as they might seem.

In our area… there is one chap whom I have to avoid like the plague when I notice him in the crowd…at a function or whatever.

His handshake is so strong that I risk him breaking my fingers. First time we met, he hurt me so much it almost made me burst into tears (and I am NOT a wimp)… most embarrassing … and I had to disentangle my poor hand without screaming.

Not at all funny.

It was the look on his face that got me

If I’d been grabbed/yanked like that… the air would have been blue… and as for the look on my face… it would have been much, much worse. :rofl: :zipper_mouth_face: :zipper_mouth_face:

Ah yes Stella, but with all due respect you are fallible and presumably don’t claim to be anything more :wink:

:thinking: :slight_smile: with all due respect, Bob… I have neither read, nor heard that Pope Francis claims to be infallible…

Well, if he was infallible, he just fallibled :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like