Porridge - import ok?

Walnut oil also - sadly - seems to have a shorter expiry date than other oils.Lovely though it is. Also not a cooking oil.

I found @Corona’s info on sunflower oil issues great. I had just started using it so I stopped.

For frying/grilling I am thinking now to return to grapeseed oil which is excellent, does not stick to the food nor add its own flavour. Very light so a bottle goes a long way. I’m not sure why but it seems harder to find in supermarkets now.

Coconut oil soon, though I gather the source for that should be carefully checked as some are less trusted.

But long live your walnut oil! I am so jealous of all those bottles I see in your picture, presumably taken in your dark cellar…!

I understand but this is walnut not olive oil and walnut oil seems to be sold in clear bottles. Walnut oil is good for 3 to 4 years and have just tested a bottle we have from 3 years ago to last years crop and it tastes just the same.
Perhaps because we store it in a dark room with no light?

2 Likes

Sounds great, we have a presseir (sp) not far from us and its on my to visit list, we dont have enough trees to make much so the squirrels can enjoy them fpr now at least.

To keep the light out, the oil will keep miles better. Just poster type paint will do or acrylic. My walnut oil comes in metal bottles.

1 Like

You can buy it almost everywhere, even in Aldi
where it is cheaper!

But no provenance!

2 Likes