Possible to obtain a passport talent chercheur in this case?

Hello,

I’ve received an offer of a part time (10 hours/week) teaching position from a private grande école in Paris, that’d be valid for a year. I’m wondering if it’d allow me to receive a passeport talent chercheur? I’ve a degree at least equivalent to masters/ The related link is here - Passeport talent : carte de séjour pluriannuelle d'un étranger en France | service-public.fr, but it doesn’t say anything about part time or full time offers, so I ask.

P.S. If I understand correctly, grande écoles are equivalent to universities.
PPS. , I’m aware of that teaching isn’t reseaerch, however in the eye of the law, teaching can be the same as research - as the link says “Vous venez en France pour mener des travaux de recherche ou dispenser un enseignement de niveau universitaire”.

Thanks in advance!

Teaching isn’t research, so may not qualify in that respect. However the form the employer has to fill in to accompany your application does have a box for part time work, so that may not be a barrier. The main hurdle for these sorts of visa is that the full time equivalent salary has to be over a threshold.

Unfortunately, you may encounter the following obstacles:-

i) Teaching isn’t research (not a value judgement!)
ii) Only a few grande écoles undertake research, and this is mainly done in conjunction with research institutes, or research labs in public universities.
iii) The entry level qualification for these researchers is usually post-doc.

As someone who did postdocs, I’m aware of this, however in the eye of the law, teaching can be the same as research - as the link says “Vous venez en France pour mener des travaux de recherche ou dispenser un enseignement de niveau universitaire”, and both are under “passeport talent chercheur”.

Thanks, but in the link I gave, there’s no minimum salary stated for passeport talent chercheur, whereas it’s there for other categoes of passeport talent.

Can’t remember where I saw this, some of the visa stuff is straightforward and other bits are like a ball of wool! And yes teaching can qualify, but I think only if you are teaching at the the appropriate level…

• Vous êtes chargé d’une mission de recherche ou d’enseignement de niveau supérieur dans le cadre d’une convention d’accueil dont la durée ne peut excéder 4 ans ;
  • Vous êtes titulaire d’un diplôme au moins équivalent au master.

Lorsque le chercheur relève d’un programme de l’Union européenne ou d’un programme multilatéral comportant des mesures de mobilité intra-UE, ou lorsque cette mobilité est prévue dans le cadre d’une convention entre au moins deux organismes de recherche situés dans au moins deux Etats membres, un visa portant mention spécifique « chercheur - mobilité » est délivré.

Best thing to do is probably give it a go!! Start the process via the visa wizard and see where you get to… although your prospective employer might be able to advise as presumably they know what rules they have to follow?

1 Like

Absolutely !!!

Bonne chance.

1 Like

Thank you for the encouragement. I’m teaching class prépatoire for Bac + 1 students in that grande école (it’s an “école d’informatique”), so now I’m wondering if that corresponds to niveau supérieur? I feel it should - it’s at the university level, not high school level.

May I ask where you got the exact line " * Vous êtes chargé d’une mission de recherche ou d’enseignement de niveau supérieur dans le cadre d’une convention d’accueil dont la durée ne peut excéder 4 ans" please? It’s not written this way on the service publique website.

The grande école has all its teachers French/EU citizens, but they said that they could give me a conventionb d’accueil if needed, but they’ve not done it before.

It’s from the french gov visa site…as I said what is frustrating here is that the various sites are not harmonious or precise, and a lot can come down to the person opening your dossier. Here:8

https://france-visas.gouv.fr/web/france-visas/passeport-talents

It sounds as if the school is an école supérieure, but the level you are teaching at may not be. Normally Bac +5 is considered supérieure

Thanks for the link. I’m doing some digging for the niveau supérieure and I’m finding this:

https://www.letudiant.fr/etudes.html

It says: “Le bac en poche, vous entamez, poursuivez ou reprenez des études supérieures.” The studnents I’m teaching already finished their Bac and are thus in Bac + 1. So it seems they’re in niveau supérieure then…?

Not a grande école then, classe préparatoire, which means leading up to the competition you do in order to get into a grande école. Prépa is still lycée though the pupils have student status and are also registered with a university as a safety net for if they fail.

1 Like

I’m teaching at EPITA (École pour l'informatique et les techniques avancées - Wikipedia) and I know for certain that it’s a grande école specialized for engineering studies. The first two years of classes are called class préparatoire and the third and fourth year ones are called engineering classes.

Then it is a prépa integrée where you don’t change location after the 2 years of prépa and the concours. It counts as a proper grande ecole from the 3rd year onwards and normally there should be 3 more years after that, the diplôme d’ingenieur is Bac +5. (My daughter the engineer did prépa+GE and is finishing her PhD now so the process is fairly fresh in my mind).

4 Likes