Power of attorney

We have been offered Power of Attorney so that our notaire can sign the
Compromis de Vente on our behalf.

Clearly this saves us being there…but it it a good idea?

Would it be really difficult for at least one of you to be present ?

The Compromis is really important - needs to be correct or you could find yourself in a difficult/impossible position.

1 Like

On another thread you have been talking about learning the language…so do you actually have enough french to understand the legal document? If not then does it make much difference if you are there or not?

1 Like

Good point.

You could always grant a PoA that is limited to signing documents that you have pre-approved. Documents could then be faxed or e-mailed to you and you could have them translated at your leisure.

2 Likes

I was mistakenly under the impression that they needed me for the signing of the Compromise de Vent . But it looks like they just email over the document and I get 10 days to send the deposit in.

Perhaps I’ll pop over when i need to do the inspection prior to completion.

I am hoping (as its a barn) that the whole conveyance won’t take too many weeks.

The Compromis does need to be signed, because it’s a contract, but it can be signed either by you personally or by proxy. If you’re confident you understand everything and are happy with it, all good, but if there’s anything you’re not sure about then going to the signing is a good opportunity to get the notaire to clarify.

What inspection would that be?

1 Like

Hi Anna - I’ve no idea what Darren is talking about - but, certainly in our case the Notaire asked if we had seen and inspected the property and knew exactly what we were buying.

I happily said something like “last week” - all ok- except that when we had the keys and went to the new house, we noticed that something verbally “promised” to be left - had in fact gone. We were told we should have inspected on the day of the Final Signing. oops

The property is full of junk at the moment. Its a condition of sale that the vendors clear it out. I have been advised to check they have done that BEFORE signing the contract, as doing so afterward has no validity.

1 Like

Thank you Anna

No-one gave us such good advice - but it was some years ago.

You’ll want to be checking that all that was supposed to be removed has, indeed been removed. Quite the opposite from our situation :upside_down_face: It would be ghastly for you to find the junk all still there, perhaps just out of sight of a casual glance … after the Signing.