Principal measures against waste.. in France

1 Like

@Stella re Loi Anti-Gaspillage
:fr::+1:

Remarkably detailed and forward-looking legislation on anti-pollution and anti-waste measures to be enacted, and without undue “dithering and delay” too.

It remains to be seen how quickly and eagerly BloJo’s new “Golden Age” administration follows suit.

My guess is that UK and particularly England will continue to slide into the squalid litter-strewn Hogarthian nightmare it has become in the last twenty or thirty years. Defloreat Brexshittia! :scream:

I have a bee in my bonnet as to why the biggest polluters, the grande surfaces, aren’t being hammered. As we dutifully sort our rubbish at home I wonder why millions of punters are sorting when Carrefour and gang could just stop producing the bloody stuff. Grand Frais, where we do most of our perishable shopping at least offers paper bags.

5 Likes

Certainly the large supermarkets don’t appear to be making any serious efforts so far to convert to either fully recycable or compostable packaging. If anything, it seems to be getting worse, more individualised plastic packaging.

With regard to packaging I always assumed the french did a great job, put it in the yellow bags and all gets recycled.
I did wonder how many thousand people would have to be employed to sort these bags out and get I to the correct machines.
But According to a documentary on french tv last week, very little gets recycled , bottles and the tops yes .
The vast majority is landfill or dump on 3 rd world countries. Which they don’t have the facilities to recycle, the planet is doomed.

The planet will survive, it’s humanity that’s doomed, and it will take the vast majority of other life with it. Fortunately most of us on here won’t be around to suffer it, but I do worry for 2 or 3 generations down the line.

Folk need to rethink what they buy and what they throw away.

The Yellow Sacks are for recyclable stuff
 and despite what you may have seen on TV
 there is sterling work going on across France, to recycle as much as possible. :relaxed:

Many folk put far too much into the Black Sacks (for landfill) and that does need to be reduced dramatically. :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

I think the very fact that the majority of species will go extinct in the next 100 years speaks volumes.
Yes consumers should consider what they buy but the supermarkets, and governments and the EU have to pass legislation to cut packaging and also cheap plastic tools and toys which are not needed.
I don’t think any country recycles what they state, and yellow bags going into landfill as not economically viable to recycle.

Yellow bags are emptied and sorted as far as I know
 certainly I’ve never heard of them going into landfill “just like that”
did the TV say where this was happening

Of course, many folk simply put “stuff” in the Yellow Sack because they think it (whatever it is) “should be” recycled. Sadly, much stuff is still NOT recyclable 
 and the only way to avoid such stuff in landfill is NOT to buy in the first place

If the consumer refuses to buy, Industry etc will react.

There are already guidelines/restrictions etc on Industry
 and the Consumer can actively help such guidelines to “bite”.

I can’t remember which department it was, but only items that were worth recycling were kept.

Ah
 that might be making more sense
 it was a Department rather than France in general.

Some Departments are lagging behind others but, in general, France is making a good effort. It needs everyone to get behind the idea of only buying what is truly needed and, then, only in packaging etc which is truly recyclable
 :thinking:

1 Like

I think that this recycling idea is a propagandist con-trick, designed on high to distract a gullible (and willing to be gulled) public from the catastrophic inevitability of an uninhabitable earth within two generations.

It soothes or anaesthetises us, if we swallow the soporific gloop on widespread offer, against the unpalatable truth of an extreme austerity of a kind never previously experienced by any of us in the ‘developed world’, and implemented now by (a) ruthlessly honest government(s) in the G20.

I recommend “The Uninhabitable Earth” (Life after Warming) [2019] by David Wallace-Wells, Tim Duggan Books, New York. Not a comfortable read.

It’s not a con trick but the earth is overpopulated, we can’t feed everyone and keep making people live longer. There will be 2 scenarios in my opinion, either a pandemic man made perhaps, or a large war, China is trying to take over the world now with expanding territory and goods.

It won’t be as dramatic - just billions starving as crops fail. Oh, and probably billions displaced as seas rise.

I think given the amount of food produced, unsold, & thrown away, we could feed far more than we do.
Not allowing corporations like NestlĂ© to “buy” water for fuck all & sell it on might ease the situation for certain areas that suffer from water shortages, even if only occasionally

but all this is a completely different argument

Malaysia sending containers of plastic waste back, lists France and Uk as two of the countries.
The EU should set a example and set up real recycling plants or even power plants as in Sweden to incinerate to generate heat and electricity.
It’s not good enough dumping on Asian countries even if they get paid to accept waste plastic as they don’t have the infrastructure to recycle it. I wonder how much of it actually ends up in the sea as it’s a easy way for crooks to dispose of it.

1 Like

The problem for the Swedish power plants is the shortage of waste and it’s not a new problem it’s been going on since the start of the 90s Sweden actually buy waste from Wales and Italy waste is actually bought and sold as any products and the price goes up and down