Private car sale help

Hi all could someone please tell me what is needed to sell a French car privately ie. paperwork where to send it etc.
thank you in advance
it has CT till 2020

The government site tells you what you need to do

Selling privately is just the same as selling to a garage
 except that the garage would organize the paperwork
 and you would simply sign wherever indicated
before linking to the computer

Can you give details of the car for sale?

Bloody hell Stella this says I need to get a contrĂŽle technique for my car before I can sell it. Really not sure it will pass with the new rules. I was counting on the few hundred euros I could get for it.

Everything is working fine and it’s only done 135,000 kms but both bumpers are a bit loose, the seal around the rear windscreen is perished so water is coming in the boot, it probably needs 2 new front tyres and the paintwork is well past its best. Having said that it passed first time last time in June 2017.

That puts a bit of a spanner in the works! :unamused:

From what you say
 it sounds as if the only “fail” will be the tyres
 (or is there something else
)

Why not offer the car for sale
 if someone is really interested, they will know about the tyres and that is allowed for in the price
 get a deposit, then take it to the CT centre

does that sound reasonable ???

What car is it
 Make, Model, Year
?? in case folk on the Forum are looking
 (@Mat_Davies)

Any other ideas folks
 ??

I’m with Stella on this, maybe try advertising on a FB site near to you. You know the sort of thing 
‘wanted and for sale in xxxx area’.
It seems to work in my region judging by the amount of vehicules that are offered and then marked as sold.
There are English people with 2nd homes who are looking for a car to leave here as a runabout who appear to have the money to spend on getting a car up to scratch rather than going through registering a UK car.
Nothing lost in putting out a few feelers.
Just a thought, is there an ‘English newspaper’/free sheet in your area ? We have one called ‘The Bugle’ here and folk put ads there.

I seem to remember if you are selling a car it has to have the CT test - but it does not have to pass it.

The purchaser then has a report on the car to make an informed decision.

2 Likes

That sounds great Stella. Nothing else wrong with the car at all. She runs beautifully it’s just cosmetic stuff really.

Not many brits round out way Ann so that’s unlikely to be feasible but I am about to hit Leboncoin with lots of things to sell so will add the car as well.

It’s a Ford Fiesta 1.3 2001 with 3 doors and 135,000 kms on the clock. I’ve had it for 11 years now. Will advertise it here as well but will need it for a while yet.

Yes Mat you are right but it has to be within the 2 month window to get things done before the retest.

Thanks for the help.

Mind you, Ann, UK holiday home owners cannot legally register a french car so selling to them could leave the seller with dealing with any speeding tickets etc.

Really?

Yup. Only possible if they commit fraud.

Are you saying that I can’t buy and register a French car unless we live in France permenantly? We do own a holiday home near Bordeaux.

Mark, it’s always good to get your input on topics on cars in France; I appreciate it. I am from the US, so I wonder if you can offer any thought (off the top of your head) as to whether I can legally purchase a car or motorcycle in France, since at present I have only my long-term visa from the US. I am filing in December, the documents at the France prefecture, for long-term stay.

But my visa is for one year and it’s a visitor visa. I am only renting, but I am claiming the address in France as my permanent address and I hope to live in France permanently. My suspicion is that in my current state I’m not ‘permanent’ enough, am I, to legally own a car or motorcycle
 Any thought you might have on this would be appreciated. Cheers.

Yes, this came up earlier in the year - you have to register the car at your primary address, if that isn’t in France you can’t legally register the vehicle because you can’t use a UK address.

I’m sure many just use their French address and “get away” with it.

For many years now there has been a requirement to submit, amongst other documents, proof of domicile. A household bill is suggested. The problem is that many foreigners have produced a household bill from their holiday home which, although accepted, is not from their domicile. The onus is on the applicant to be honest, not on the prefecture to give every applicant the third degree. After all, every government website clearly states what is required.
It could be that the holiday home owner has taken advice from another brit who either has not understood what “domicle” means or has just glibly said that a household bill is required as “proof of address”.
Today the registration process is online & is no longer processed at prefectures. The website is ANTS - AGENCE NATIONALE DES TITRES SÉCURISÉS or National Agency for Secure Documents. To use this site you need to be on major government databases such as the income tax, health service or INSEE. Some brits have read that a La Poste ID will give you access to ANTS. This only requires a visit by the postman to confirm your identity against a photo ID & you will qualify. They then complain that it does not work! As ANTS deals with secure documents I find it quite funny that these people think that access would be that simple. If it was the EU would be awash with potential terrorists & illegals waving around bona fide french documents obtained through ANTS.
So if France is not where your principle residence is then ANTS will not let you in.

1 Like