Problem with email notifications

I have stopped receiving email notifications from SFN. No idea why. Have reset my options but it's still not working. Is anyone else having the same problem or does anyone know how to fix it?

Many thanks.

Hi Mandy, sorry for the delay. My brain is everywhere at the mo. If you look along the tabs at the top of the page, please could you go on Support and "open a ticket" (you should see a box for that). That will then be picked up by someone much more tecchy minded than I am and you'll be guided through.

Hello

Someone else has posted that they are also not receiving email notifications of new activity on the site. It seems it's not just me then! Lets hope you can get this sorted out.

Thanks again.

I think the reduced number of responses is simply because a lot of the members are now holidaying / relaxing in the sunshine - not like me, inside attached to the computer working! Not fair, I want to retire or at least run around the garden like a loon with my son. Anyway, back to the point, I'll go ask again because I think my query may have got buried somewhere.

Hi Valerie

Just wondering if you have had a chance to look into this a bit further.

I have noticed that there are very few responses to most of the new discussion topics at the moment which makes me wonder if other people are also not receiving notifications. Or it could just be because it's holiday time.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing what you have discovered.

Many thanks.

When I looked earlier, I actually didn't see an option in settings to receive notifications of all new ones, only ones that had been commented upon, but that actually seems to ring a bell with me so I'm wondering if something has changed and I've simply not noticed (not enough coffee, methinks). I will make further inquiries ...

Until a few weeks ago I received an email every time someone posted a new discussion. I set this up last October when another member told me how to do it. Have found the discussion where we talked about this (Lost on SFN started by Paul Clark on 9 October on page 2) but Debra is no longer a member so her post has disappeared. So either it's no longer possible to receive these emails because someone has changed the way this site operates or my settings have malfunctioned.

I don't receive those either, Mandy. I only receive notifications for posts I've commented on or opted to "Follow", or the "Worth a read" emails that are sent highlighting four or five current discussions. The only way I know if someone's posted a new discussion is if I see it listed on the front page or do a search on a particular theme.

Hi Valerie

Thanks for this. Notifications on my own posts are obviously working. However, I also used to receive an email when anyone posted a new discussion and I'm still not receiving those.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

I'm doing this as a sort of test, Mandy. You said your settings all seem in order so you should (technically) receive notifications now for any post you've commented on, or any where you've clicked on "follow" under the box. We'll see if you get a notification about this. If you don't, I hope you come back and check whether anyone's answered so we know there's a glitch! Keep us posted.

Well, I am surprised that this thread was so little replied to and with no obvious solution posted, from 7 years ago :astonished:, because I am having the same problem, sometimes I get a notification of a new post in a thread that I have contributed to, but increasingly, I do not.

I get notifications whenever someone awards a ā€˜likeā€™ to my posts but then, as these posts are sometimes quite old I have to scroll down, sometimes for ages to see if there have been any updates.

A case in point. I received notification of a like this morning in the thread in which I report my wifeā€™s health problems, and when I got there found that Cat had replied in the thread, but no such notification of that post. If there hadnā€™t been a ā€˜likeā€™ just above it I would not have known.

I used to get them and I have changed nothing but I will now go to my profile and see what is there.

Edit: Well there are reply notifications on the list there but nowhere near the number I would have expected considering how often I post, so what is going on? I obviously havenā€™t blocked them, but donā€™t anyway see how I could do it, or unblock. Mystified. :neutral_face:

Just to add to the mystery, I have just been notified of @Stellaā€™s reply in the ETIAS thread.
I also read the line below it that said:

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Something that really confused me when I first arrived here. I thought the ā€˜reply to this email to respondā€™ meant a PM until I was surprised to see my so-called Private Message in the topic for all to see. :astonished: :rofl:

This place is definitely different from all my previous experience, :wink: :joy:

I donā€™t have the email notification turned on so I only see responses to my activity (likes/quotes etc) when I come onto the website, so my situation is different to yours David, but I am wondering (if Iā€™ve understood), whether some of your email notifications from SF are being blocked and are sitting as spam in your webmail?

NB: I find coming onto the site much more straightforward than using the email facility. I try to keep my emails to the absolute minimum.

2 Likes

No, I check both incoming and spam boxes dozens of times a day, so it is not that, but here, yet again I have received notification of your reply, it is very puzzling.

I also come here many times a day, whether notified or not, and check first my icon, then New and finally Unread. It is only then that I see some replies that didnā€™t trigger an email.

The only advantage of having a permanent email trigger is it saves me from scrolling down threads to the point where new replies start, but in a very popular thread, that can be quite a long way.

BTW, anybody know what happened to anon 92567933 and @val ? Just wondering. :thinking: :grinning:

if you log in then after that any thread you click on will land you at the first comment on it that you havenā€™t read.

Threads with comments you havenā€™t read (whether youā€™ve replied in them or not) are bolded on the list when you log in. Threads with nothing new that you havenā€™t seen are in lighter type.

Like SuePJ I prefer to keep stuff out of my emailbox if I can! Though I did originally tick the box to get emails from threads Iā€™d participated in.

That is fine as it stands, but if I arrive at that thread as a result of a like of a post I might have made weeks before, I donā€™t then get taken to the newest post after I was last logged in. Then the only course to find new posts is to scroll down what on other forums would be pages. Thank goodness on this forum all threads are on one page. :joy:
Still can be a helluva long way to scroll while at the same time looking for that thin yellow line. :neutral_face:

But none of this explains why I get some notifications but not others. :confused:

While gardening, I realised I donā€™t understand what email notifications are for. If I want to read SF I go straight to the site. Seems to me an email is an unnecessary extra step.

1 Like

So do you then read everything or do you think you have missed replies? I have certainly missed replies by not getting an email.

Also how is clicking at the bottom of an email taking you directly to the latest reply to your post slower than going any other way to SF? Where is the extra step? Confused. :confused:

Not at all. I keep my site on ā€œLatestā€ which gives me all the threads where there is a new post since my last visit. This morning (first visit of the day) gives me 14 threads to read where there are new posts. Most of those threads only have one or two new comments. Mostly all Iā€™m having to do is click on ā€œlikeā€. Occasionally (like now) I reply. My avatar in the top right hand corner has a blue circle with a one in it, which I havenā€™t looked at but is probably because youā€™ve replied to me - no, itā€™s because Iā€™ve got a wordle ā€œlikeā€ :grin:
Mind you, in recent months out of sheer exasperation Iā€™ve muted a lot of the political threads, so no doubt there are many more I could be reading but I just got sick of it all and life is much better as a result. :grin:

2 Likes

I tried using Latest, but still found I missed things, oh well each to their own. :grinning:

But using your method you have to log on, if I am busy I donā€™t do that unless notified.