Problem with MPlayer

I've been trying to find an answer to this problem on and off for several months now finding lots of suggestions but none of which provides a solution in my case.

I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 (Classic mode) and have successfully installed Mplayer with SMPlayer as a front end. SMPlayer appears in the Applications Menu under Sound and Video and loads and plays MPlayer perfectly except there is no Skin Browser option which should show on the drop-down menu when you right-click on the screen.(See attached my- SMPlayer and should-be_menu). According to the manual MPlayer should load the default skin from usr/local/share/mplayer/skins or from home/.mplayer/skins with an option to choose a different one as previously mentioned. The skin folders are where they are supposed to be but still don't give the said option to change.(See attached screenshot of folder)

Has anyone had similar problems? If so, please advise.

Hopefully,

Rog.

That's good to hear Roger. Yes they really have put a lot of effort into the project, and it works perfectly on all my Linux and Mac machines. I also installed it on a friends Windows machine, with the same positive results.

Nick

Hi Nick.

I still find it very strange that SMPlayer works well except there is no option to change skins despite reinstalling and checking everything many times. However, despite having bad memories of VLC in the early days, I have ditched MPlayer and installed VLC as suggested and I am pleasantly surprised at the improvements. It has all the features that I want works perfectly.

Many thanks Nick,

Rog.

Hi Roger, I used to use Mplayer a lot until I discovered VLC, and switched.

The issue with Mplayer/SMplayer as I discovered many times, is they don't always work seamlessly together as they are two projects, while VLC is managed by one team, and works on all platforms the same.

Give it a try and see what you think.

VLC