Problem with neighbour

Helen you’ve raised quite a few points in your reply and I thank you for taking the time to do so. However, having waited over 2 1/2 years for things to change, and having been promised by our neighbour on at least 3 occasions that he would be moving everything in his annual holidays, and offering to help him do this which he refused, still nothing has happened. We have more than tried to avoid conflict over the years, and remained courteous throughout to him. We are now at the point where we feel we have to take things further, it’s obvious by now that he has no intention to do anything. You mentioned screening, 18 months ago we felt we had to do just that, so between Alan and myself we made large timberplanter boxes 1.8m X 0.6x 0.6 a total of 7 plus one half size plus a double arch and a single arch. This was an expensive, time consuming and difficult job especially when neither of us are fit. On top of that all the planter boxes are backed by open trellis and slats. We now have a very nice enclosed courtyard within the main courtyard. However, even given the size we have enclosed it is a very small fraction of the overall courtyard and does not block out the view as we or visitors drive in of what is outside our little cubbie hole. All we have really done is make a pretty little place to sit without being in full view of the rubbish, it is all still visible from each window on the front of the house. The point you make “some buyers won’t care about the rubbish” maybe they won’t, but given the number of buyers around wanting to buy a house in France, I feel what they see on arrival will seriously reduce any potential buyer numbers. Certainly if I came to look at the house I would drive straight on through. We have worked dammed hard to make this into a lovely home, things are hard enough without somebody else adding to the difficulties. Thank you once again.

2 Likes

I used to watch that series…can’t remember the name now…where the council workers were sent in to clear gardens and vacated properties…??? There’s also the problem in uk where it has become really difficult to dispose of rubbish if you need a van and therefore a permit to take it to the tip rather than a car and because of that fly-tipping has become a problem too…My mom had several larger items to dispose of not so long back and had to pay a considerable sum…what if people despite paying their council tax can’t pay the extra…???

It’s probably difficult to picture how things are for you without seeing photos…I do empathise and the last 2 and a half years must have been extremely difficult for the both of you…I hope that between the Marie and people here that you find a way through this…:heart:

Alan, your answer made me chuckle too, and I do accept your in-situ assessment of Dirty Dick. I’ve also met a couple of similar characters here in France, similar présentation, living alone in a nice but filthy and unkempt house totally chaotic lifestyle, mangy cats everywhere, main occupied space à corner of a table in the kitchen covered in greasy tat including bits of dismantled engine, empty Ricard bottles etc. Some men do seem to lose all self-respect when they don’t have a woman to keep them on the rails.

I suppose the bottom line is “I own this place and I shall live how I choose. What are you going to do about it then?” If you don’t like the way it looks, point your nose in the other direction!"

Anyway, you are dealing with it in an entertaining way, and very diplomatically. With cheerful persistence you will probably get through to him. Some people are very slow for the penny to drop and need to be reminded you are serious, but that you aren’t his enemy, but an honest and reasonable friend. Good luck! :relaxed:

1 Like

Peter. It’s Anne writing, seems account was opened in Alans name. I can assure you the posts would have been a lot more entertaining had Alan written them… He’s a writer of short stories for no less than women’s magazines around the world. We try and look on the bright side of this situation and would find it much easier to deal with in our own language. All the best. Anne

3 Likes

Hello Anne and Alan
It’s horrible how one person can make others lives such a misery.
Friends (Belgiums) who have a holiday home nearby are going through some big problems with some (now ex friends) who have a right of passage. Things have become so bad that they will be putting their much loved house on the market this year.
I wonder if this article may be of help to you…good luck.

1 Like

As usual Stella a dignified reply to an uneccesary remark, I could do with some of your patience and decorum :thinking:

2 Likes

Hi Ann… I’ve been doing a bit of research on the Code Civile and Bon Voisinage…

Covers all sorts of things… but not found anything that specifically talks about Alan/Anne’s problem…

not yet… :wink::sunglasses: still looking…

Yes Stella, there seems to be things covering bad smells, trees, noise etc; but they do seem to have a particular problem. I think the advice that you and others have given of going to the Mairie is good. Maybe they could also ask that the Mayor call round for a visit to see the problem for himself ? It’s worth a try.
When I have needed advice I have spoken to the Mayor and asked that if possible he can come to my house. In both instances he was happy to do so and was very helpful.
This is why I always advise newcomers (in small communes, not possible in big towns I know) to call on the Mayor and introduce themselves, it really does help.

1 Like

The problem has already been recognized, in that the parents came and helped do some sorting out… thus it is clearly not just “the neighbours making a fuss” sort of situation.

Even if there were a specific spot in the Code Civile (and there still might be)… taking official action via Gendarmes or whatever…is like using a sledgehammer on a hen’s egg.

It is my hope that the Mairie will chat things through with Alan/Anne and then organize someone (probably a councillor) to make a gentle visit to chat things through with the neighbour. This is what happens in my Commune… gently, gently…sometimes it does go on for quite a while… but some sort of compromise is usually arrived at.

In 20 years, I have only seen 2 things go all the way to court… and both those occasions have caused distress, even hatred amongst the people concerned.

1 Like

Glad that you appreciated my input and that you acknowledge I was kind to spend some time suggesting ways in which you might resolve your problems. Apologies for my “vicious attack” that no longer qualifies me as a lovely person…but there you are. Life goes on…

1 Like

La Marie is of course your best option…but during the discussion with them you could casually mention the word “rats”… that might help to get some movement

1 Like

Yes, it does help if a really good reason can be found… rather than simply “it looks awful”…

Alan/Anne you did mention asbestos early on… is there anything else polluting/dangerous… that you can see/think of… as well as rats of course…:slight_smile:

Back in UK a chap emptied his diesel into the ditch that ran through our land… took some time, but it did get cleared out and cleaned up. Especially dangerous to us as it was close to our well-water supply. (no mains, no drains :slight_smile: )

You can take out a court-case against the person. See a lawyer who will explain to you that your neighbor is depreciating the value of your property by his unsightly front-yard of rubbish.

The subject is discussed at length (in French) here. It seems that City Hall could have an “influence” because the individual is clearly creating a publicly obvious “décharge” (rubbish tip).

And what is interesting (from the article) is that there is a formal French law regarding the matter. (Surprise! Surprise!) It is “L. 541-3 du code de l’environnement”

Which means the law gives local authorities legal right to react. How good a friend of yours is the mayor? (;^) Regardless, that is the person to whom you should address yourself first; and if that doesn’t work, then see a lawyer who will argue in court citing the L.541-3 statute.

Just the threat of a court-case could be enough for your neighbor to clean up his mess …

Thank you to everyone for your continued helpful advice. The last thing we want is to get into a court battle, as mentioned already neither Alan or I are in the best of health, so that is not an option. I am thinking that I might have given the wrong impression when using the word “rubbish” as far as we know it is not food waste. Effectively it is piles of old metal, farm equipment even though he has no land so no real use for it, 4 large water tanks mounted on metal trolleys , that’s my best description of them, farmers use them in the field for animals, ploughing implements, numerous large plastic storage containers about 1.5 m high. the list could go. These things are strewn all over the ground from the approach to the property to going out, It seems whatever he uses or brings in is dumped on the ground and there it stays, apart from the large things there are buckets, hoses, wheel barrows, pallets …I have photos from 2 1/2 years ago and some things are still where they were then. I have thought about rats because about 6 months or so ago he added chickens to the mix. Nothing is a “one off” as in plastic storage containers, there are probably 20-30 of various sizes scattered around, just lying on the ground. Alan asked him once if he could help him to move things into the outhouses. "No, they’re all full " . I often look out of the kitchen window and count 6 doors straight in front of us, all open and displaying more of his treasures, there are never less than 4 open. I’m running away with myself i know. Once again thank you all. Anne

Fingers crossed it will be sorted in friendly fashion… :relaxed::wink:

Thank you Ann Coe. We will look at the article a bit later. Like your friends we can’t wait to get the house on the market, of course being France we could still be here for years. Whatever the outcome to our problem we could not stay here. Stella. As always thank you for all the time you’ve taken in replying to my ramblings. I will certainly update on here as and when anything changes. Best wishes to all. Anne and Alan

How does one start a NEW TOPIC?
Thanks

Hi Kenneth

I’m on a computer rather ipod or whatever… and at the top, right hand side of my screen is a box containing: +New Topic click that box and it will offer you a box at bottom of page (just like replying) and you put in Title, Category and then whatever you want to say…

If you are on ipod etc … it may not be the same main screen…

Hi Stella, thanks for your suggestion…on my computer there is a magnifying glass, then three thick lines and finally a circle with a K in it, in the top right hand corner, but no box…