Problem with neighbour

On the home page of the forum you should have a button just under those three labelled “+ New Topic”

1 Like

If not…Click onto Property & Home (found under the Problem with neighbour) and you should see a whole new page… and the + New Topic box… which will get you started on the right road… :relaxed:

1 Like

“The home page” is found by clicking on the red and white and blue box on the left at the top of the screen.
THEN, on THAT page new topic is visible. When you use this site for years it becomes obvious.
Thanks Paul for your suggestion, Stella Wood imagines things are visible elsewhere to all, but she tries hard and gets full points for trying.

1 Like

:rofl::joy::wink: Kenneth Keen, you are a treasure… I never knew that about the SFBox…

When reading a Thread, to get “out” of it, I’ve always just hit the Home button and gone on from there… :relaxed:

Hello again. Sorry I’ve not posted anything on this topic for a while. As promised this is it. The reason we’ve not done anything with regards to visiting the Mayor has been due to a few health problems for me, resulting in the need for a small heart operation for me (Anne) in two weeks time. However this week we decided we really needed to talk with the mayors office. So, this afternoon we had a meeting with his secretary. as we said previously, we felt that was the best thing to start with. We had a long chat with her and was very sympathetic, but it was outside her role. As the Mayor was there she asked if we would like to speak with him, or she could telephone the mediator. As they only see people on the first Friday of each month, we opted to speak with the Mayor. Not good, he said that at as all the “stuff” is on his land he effectively is doing nothing wrong. His suggestion is “build a fence down the middle”. We asked if we would need permission to do that, which we would. But it seems as long as it complies with regulations and not infringing on neighbours land he saw no reason why it would be refused. This is the last thing we would want to do, but maybe if all else fails we will have to. Alan will have another talk with our neighbour early next week, although he really doesn’t want to, if nothing happens after that we’ll think seriously about what our next step will be. One thing which is worrying us now is the structure we have already put up to block part of the view…should we have had permission to do that. We did think about it, but decided as nothing was “fixed” and all moveable it should be OK. Every part was made as a separate unit and then screwed to each other, nothing is fixed into the ground or to any wall. Any ideas please? We looked at our land plan earlier in the week, and although we believed for some reason that our border dividing the courtyard went on an angle, it in fact is a straight line, this means we have a much bigger area than we thought. In the event that we did put up a fence, and the fact that he brings a horse box in and all the time it would make it quite difficult for him, at the moment he has to swing right over our side. That is something which has never bothered us at all. It looks like the whole thing could get quite nasty, and neither Alan or I are up to that, not to mention the cost which would be involved in having a fence built. It would have to be about 30-35 Metre long. We’re both feeling pretty much down in the dumps right now. As always thank you to everyone who offered support and suggestions, especially Stella, thanks Stella. Anne.

Did you take photos with you when you saw the Mayor ? I would still ask that he comes to see the problem for himself before the secretary phones a mediator. As Stella has already suggested there are local councillors too, so if the mayor is too busy then maybe one of these can pay a visit? I would also tell whoever visits that you have seen rats and that you believe its a health risk.
If all that seems daunting then do ask the secretary to call in the mediator, you can’t continue with this situation, especially with the stress, that’s not good at all for you both.
A fence is the last resort as it could kick off and make things worse, but I do understand why you need to react.
Do you know a third party who could have a talk with your neighbour. Someone who could visit and have a ‘friendly chat’ and explain how all this is affecting you ? It could be that he just doesn’t realise how badly this is affecting your lives… there is nothing lost in giving it a go…
I do sympathise …

Hi. So per a fence poles 3 mtr are pretty cheep and then you could put up what i call green fence. its not solid but fabric and pretty cheep. (the sort you use for veg in the ground. I have it here (nearly 90 mtrs of it) surrounding our area for the dogs.

We have a problem farmer behind us who kept trespassing on our land. when I challenged it he became angry so i took a video. Next time he did it I rang the guard (Gendarmerie )who came out while he was still trespassing. he has not done so since. Often the stress is too much but to let it continue which will cause you more the putting up of a privacy screen or the constant sight.

1 Like

Ann. Thank you for your reply. Yes, we did take photos to the Mayor. He was of the opinion that if its on his land then there is nothing he can do, the neighbour is doing nothing wrong. Hence why he suggested a fence. To be fair what he has there is not “rubbish” in the true sense of the word. It’s more metal framework for building, large water butts on trolleys, farm implements (even though he only has a very small area of land) nothing he would such equipment on. Metal saw horses huge plastic crates piled up, heaps of scaffold planks. All of this kept neatly in plies would not be too bad, as it is its spread out everywhere you look, some has been there so long that vegetation is growing up over it. It’s the general run down, dirty appearance that’s objectionable, as this definitely impacts on our property. As for the mediator/councilor, they deal solely with problems with neighbours, so the Mayor feels they would have more idea of our rights, or if we have any. We will only contact them after Alan has spoken to the neighbour to try again and sort things out before going further. Neither of us want any upset, and maybe if we didn’t want to sell the house we wouldn’t feel so strongly about . I would still hate looking at it, and bitterly resent what he’s turned our area into, but would try to overlook it and get on with life. Harry. If we did eventually have to resort to a fence we would want something more permanent, something that added to the property, not just a temporary fix, but thanks for the suggestion.

hi, yes mine is permanent but it is a secondary line of fence to stop nosy people stopping for a look. My main fence is solid brick and metal.

In your initial post you said his parents came and cleared up. Do you think they would do this again if you could contact them? Perhaps even offer them help or a small contribution to the cost of disposal.
It unfortunately seems like a problem which will be recurring.
Opposite our house in the UK lives the most well spoken and well dressed old lady but her house is full to the top with everything you can imagine, papers, linens etc. She literally has a narrow clear path to walk round the house.
It sounds very stressful to me. I hope you get sorted.