Property Renovation

Tarbes itself is not liked for some reason, I love it. Its near the pyrenees and the villages around are lovely. I think in the past it was let go down a little, but over the past number of years its got a new life. Loads of Bars etc including an Irish one called the Shamrock. You have to visit it to appreciate it, dont listen to negative vibes, come and check it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry Stella, Im getting all confused. Thanks Stella for your advise.

2 Likes

No problem, best of luck.

I thought @vero was singing its praises, actually… :confused:

Thanks, I am working from home in Tarbes this week. Dipping in and out of SF. I know Vero was praising it, was telling everybody on my reply that Tarbes is worth a visit and thanks Vero. Hopefully I did not upset anybody?

1 Like

No way did you upset anybody…
Sounds like you are In Tarbes and already enjoying it…
and you’ve now found this old house which calls out for your care and attention…

Judging by the age of your proposed house, it’s a fair bet that everything needs replacing/renewing… so get several quotes for every job… as money runs away, much faster than one expects or plans… it vanishes like a feather in a gale…

We had to do the whole refit, which meant us camping in one room for nearly 2 years.
Well worth the effort and expense, but we’ve still not finished and possibly now will never quite do so… certainly funds are scarcer than ever…
but we love where we are and that’s enough.

Take your time, do your homework… best of luck.

Are you sure that you need a gas connection? It seems an increasingly expensive and unnecessary utility.

Never actually been to Tarbes itself, but the countryside around is wonderful. Bagnères-de-Bigorre, just south of Tarbes is a great market town and from there you can go to the ski slopes at La Mongie, from which you can get a cable car to the Pic du Midi, which is a must, as long as you don’t mind heights.
I went up one summer when the temp was 40C east of Tarbes. At the Pic du Midi it was 18C. Bliss …

Edit: Madiran, north of Tarbes is an interesting if sleepy little town. They produce one of my favourite reasonably priced French wines behind Cabardès.

All very nice, I’m going to Bagnères-de-Bigorre market on Saturday morning for the first time. Montgaillard is another little village south of Tarbes and Emmanuel Macron grandmother is from the town if anybody cares :slight_smile:

I’m not sure anyone has answered this question in the OP.

There may be some help for things such as insulation installation and energy efficient heating but these assistances are generally offered where the work is completed by registered artisans and through the tax system.
As for bank loans… I thik this will be very difficult. There was a piece on CNEWS this morning (25/8/22) suggesting that since January 2020, 50% of bank loan applications have been rejected and ithe income requirements for consideration are substantial.

@Martin_O_Connor
You might well see adverts for renovation work… talking about Grants/Subsidies etc etc

Please be careful as such Financial Aides are very finely tuned… and folk often think they’ll get back more than they actually do… hence they might find themselves financially embarrassed !!

Just read everything, make sure you understand everything… before signing anything…

Are you already in the French Tax system… as so much depends on the level of one’s income (proved by one’s Avis Impots thingy).

It was also a report on TF1 20h news the other evening about how now 50%+ of mortgage and loan applications are being refused.

Be careful of these €1 schemes for insulation/water heaters/solar panels etc. Many are not what they seem and a lot of people have been left with bills running into thousands of euros, damage and half finished projects and in some cases the “artisans/entreprises” were not even registered or qualified. The old adage of “if something sounds too good to be true”, it usually is applies. Grants are awarded according to your income via your avis d’impôts by legit bodies.

It usually is… “too good to be true” :wink:

And you usually need to have completed oneand sometimes 2 tax returns as most are 0nly available to confirmed residents, and/or with an RFR below X

I work in London and spend 3 weeks here and 5 weeks in London. I have a place in Tarbes but want to be more in the countryside. Never paid tax in France, only the property taxes for the property I own.

itchy finger syndrome, has a mind of it’s own. Error now changed :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Then not eligible for any grants or tax reductions, sorry. So €1000 -€1500 per sq metre is all yours to pay.

Classed as a residence sécondaire I think you will find and with no french tax history,even more so. The taxes you pay are for the property based on your income (habitation) and which for most residents has been done away with unless youhave a big income and the other,everyone who is a property owner pays as its for your commune to finance projects unless you have official exemption from the Impôts.

As a non-resident, things are not quite the same as for a resident… and, as others have intimated, this might well be an expensive venture.
Don’t forget to add VAT (ttc) to whatever quotes you receive… although as the building is old you might (only might) get the rate of VAT(ttc) reduced just a little… but take nothing for granted.

Best of luck…