Prostate Testing for Cancer -Do It!

I thought it about time we brought this subject back into the limelight… and who better to do it that Rod Stewart :hugs:

Come on, you guys - get yourselves tested asap…

4 Likes

I’m due october/November… even after having a TURP operation, and my prostate chips were clear…still a good idea to keep the testing up. The test also establishes a base level for the individual, so if you test annually, you build a track record graph. Usually flat ish, maybe just a slight uphill incline. This way, if one of your annuals shows a real upward trend, it needs to be looked at.

1 Like

What do you mean by tested Glenn, just PSA or something a bit more unpleasant :frowning: I have my PSA check a couple of times a year but I’ve two pals with issues in that region. Both quite serious unfortunately. .

Hi John, yes just the PSA. My GP ( and trouble is , i’ve seen several different in the practice), was recommending 2 per year… and were not understanding my symptoms even when explaining them, it should have raised flags with them but didn’t. When i eventually got to see a consultant, he said annually was ok. After he asked for further tests, including an MRI scan I was diagnosed with BPH. Perhaps your pals were less fortunate.
BPH ( otherwise known as enlarged prostate) - is not prostate cancer, but can have symptoms exactly the same. OR look at it the other way, prostate cancer has symptoms similar too…
and led to believe it affects about a 1/3 of the male population…that is a high number.

1 Like

Only just come across this prostate cancer thread. My prostate history experience follows for anyone who’s interested.

In the early days, in my 50s, I wanted a precautionary prostate cancer test so my doctor sent me to the local hospital where I had to undress completely and allow a nurse to fully swab my privates with Betadine which she also squirted up inside my willy. Then she covered me up to await a doctor who arrived with a huge looking tube, with camera and lights attached, which he inserted into said willy as far as the bladder.

The doctor could see that my prostate was of normal size and not deformed in any way and I was given a clean bill of health, and to come back in two years’ time for the next precautionary routine test.

That first brutal experience put me off! In my 60s I went for another precautionary, only this time my doctor sent me to a clinic, where I had to arrive at 8am with a full bladder. After a scan of my bladder, I was asked to go empty it, and was scanned again to see if any urine remained. There was none.

Then he added an attachment to the scanning device which he inserted up my back passage to measure the size and shape of my prostate. All was OK. The doctor said that now he had a dimensional photographic record of my prostate he could, in future tests, see very easily any changes in size or shape.

A few years later in my 70s I started having excessive and urgent peeing problems during the day, but not at night. Was sent back to the same clinic to scan my bladder full and empty. This time some urine remained in my bladder, bladder not completely emptied, meaning that my prostate must therefore be enlarged, requiring a PSA test. Not a prostate scan.

PSA test OK – I was diagnosed with common benign prostatic enlargement.

PSA test a year later OK, reading slightly lower which was reassuring. Will be having annual tests from now on.

However, at nearly 80 I have minor peeing problems due to the enlargement, for which my doctor prescribed a drug to relax muscles around the bladder and prostate. Worked great except that a side effect lowered my BP to a totally unacceptable level – couldn’t stand up without nearly falling over – dizzy spells!

The local hospital gave me a prescription for a herbal remedy - Saw Palmetto – to help shrink the prostate, which works OK for me – not completely but all is now well managed.

All I need do now is to continue with routine precautionary PSA testing which I advise all men over 40 to do. Don’t wait for symptoms!

4 Likes

I’m bringing this back into the limelight again too.

Sadly, my older brother has just died of prostate cancer in the UK. It is essential that this subject remains on peoples focus.

There are a number of topics on SF about this subject, not least of which were championed by ex member Simon Armstrong.

So, the sage advice given by @Bonzocat holds true… don’t put this off - get tested. The earlier this is detected, the better your chances of survival and avoiding a horrible demise.
You owe it to yourself and your family.

2 Likes

When I went to my doctor, previously in the UK, and now in France, they both recommended a blood test to check for any prostate issues. Certainly sounds alot more pleasant than the invasive options.

2 Likes

The PSA test is certainly (relatively) innocuous but it does only provide a guide rather than being conclusive and done regularly will provide a marker if things are going the wrong way.
A Urologist will utilise a number of different mechanisms such as an ultrasound scan and cystoscopy (both of which @Bonzocat referred to) but perhaps not as brutal as he described… it’s not Betadine which is used for the prep by squirting into the penis but an analgesic gel to make the insertion of the cystoscope less troublesome and more comfortable for the patient. Betadine is used, but only to clean round the area first for bacterial control. An internal examination of the bladder is usually recommended six monthly and the urologist will of course be able to see the condition of the prostat on the way down the urethra.
You might like to watch this video which explains more about cystoscopy.

I’ve had a number of these procedures and there’s really nothing to fear from them.
I’m only thankful that the French Health system has at long last got rid of the brownie cameras :smiling_face_with_tear:

5 Likes

Sorry for your news @graham… let’s hope the reminder will help folk to raise the subject with their Doc asap…

1 Like

Prostate cancer is different to other types of cancers in that it grows on a muscle. You dont get heart cancer for example. This point is puzzling oncologists

I’m so sorry to hear that Graham. Condolences to you and your family :cry:

2 Likes

My Father died from this cancer I have the blood test every year I am 69, so far sleep well through out night

1 Like

Absolutely, but one should not assume that a low PSA means you are in the clear.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that Graham.

Is my impression correct that France has better figures on preventing and treating this far too common disease, than the UK?

All my condolences @graham, horrid news.

1 Like

Condolences @graham . Did he not get diagnosed early, or like a lot of men, ignored it?

1 Like

The prostate is a gland, the only slightly muscular part is the urethra that passes through it

Whatever it is and wherever it grows… Prostate Cancer is something which can often be treated successfully…

Please everyone… encourage all the Men to get checked regularly…

1 Like

He was an immensely private man. It seems that he only confided this to my eldest sister who was sworn to secrecy not to disclose it to other family members so I have no idea about the history.

1 Like

So sad… for you all.

I can understand folk are reticent/private… but let’s see if we can persuade some of them to take the plunge… and talk with their Doc.

1 Like