Puppy Awareness Week

This week in the UK is National Puppy Awareness Week. The Kennel Club are hoping to raise more awareness to the conditions to which some breeders, even some of those which are licenced, are subjecting their dogs. The most appalling ones are, of course, simply referred to as 'puppy farms'. Many of the dogs have infections and health problems, and so of course do the litters, but people continue to buy especially if they are after a specific breed or mix (cockapoos, for example). You can imagine the fate of puppies which are ill or not sold.

On a happier note, the Kennel Club sponsored a puppy photography competition and some of the best entries are featured here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/gallery/2012/sep/10/puppy-awareness-week-dogs-pictures?CMP=twt_gu#/?picture=395366257&index=6

A more detailed review of what the Kennel Club are hoping to achieve can be found on http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/paw which includes video footage of both some of the farms plus events the Kennel Club has been hosting.

Their most simple piece of advice is, if an owner is reluctant to let you see a puppy at home with its mother, ask yourself why not. If he wants you to meet him somewhere else, e.g. the pub or a petrol station, why?

Sorry I have not returned to this issue earlier, but I have been working in northern France, and have just had half a week back home without internet thanks to Orange. Clearly the thread has moved on, but I would like to make some links between France and the UK.

Firstly, it should be remembered that the UK Kennel Club is just that, a club. It 'consists of a maximum of 1500 UK members..... ' who have to be proposed and seconded, and has 'social facilities in Mayfair.' I, and many others argue that it best serves the interest of its members, most of whom breed dogs for show.

In France the SCC is an organ of the department of Agriculture, overseeing (or failing to oversee) the welfare of all dogs in France. There is a national registration system, although not all dogs are identified and registered. Issues relating to health screening, and issuing of the 'Certificate of Capacity' are in the hands of the breed clubs (for health screening) and regional Canine Societies and department vet services for the running of courses for the Certificate of Capacity, and the exam for owning a category 1 or 2 dogs. However, these things only work if they are policed effectively.

I suspect that vet visits to kennels in France are often few and far between. We have had only one visit in four and a half years. I also doubt if puppy farms belong to breed societies. A good point however, is that unlike the UK Kennel Club, the French breed societies will not recognize a working or show champion unless the health screens for the breed have been done and meet the breed requirements.

Whether it is in the UK or France, would be owners of dogs need to be educated to buy from breeders whose stock has been health screened, and who specialize in just one or two breeds. Kennels should be visited, and likewise breeders need to pay attention to the ability of the buyer to look after the puppy. Breeders need to regularly follow the development and progress of puppies they sell. Sorry I have no thoughts on the issues of non pedigree puppies. I am sure there are others on this thread who have more knowledge and insight into this side of the puppy question.

Disclaimer: We have two 'show' English Springer Spaniels. They belong to my son and wife, they do well in shows but it is not my scene. However, each to his or her own.

Hope this helps, it is a bit long but most is relevant the the health and wellbeing of animals.

Also, to clarify Alan's comments, it is already obligatory for associations and breeders to have a certificate of capacity if the are holding animals. I run the cat charity Chats du Quercy and we are registered, have a limit of the numbers of cats we can hold, and we are inspected.

Here goes - Principes généraux de la protection animale

Les règles relatives à la protection ont été prises en compte au niveau européen : la Convention européenne pour la protection des animaux de compagnie, faite à Strasbourg le 18 novembre 1987, a été signée par la France le 18 décembre 1996 et est entrée en vigueur le 1er mai 2004.

Tout animal étant un être sensible doit être placé par son propriétaire dans des conditions compatibles avec les impératifs biologiques de son espèce (article L. 214-1 du Code rural).

Nul ne doit causer inutilement des douleurs, des souffrances ou de l'angoisse à un animal de compagnie (article 2 de la Convention européenne pour la protection des animaux de compagnie du 13 novembre 1987).

Toute personne qui détient un animal de compagnie ou qui a accepté de s'en occuper doit être responsable de sa santé et de son bien-être (article 4 de la Convention européenne pour la protection des animaux de compagnie du 13 novembre 1987).

Il est interdit d'exercer des mauvais traitements envers les animaux domestiques ainsi qu'envers les animaux sauvages apprivoisés ou tenus en captivité (article L. 214-3 du Code rural).

Article L. 214-1 du Code rural

Tout animal étant un être sensible doit être placé par son propriétaire dans des conditions compatibles avec les impératifs biologiques de son espèce.

Article L. 214-3 du Code rural

Il est interdit d'exercer des mauvais traitements envers les animaux domestiques ainsi qu'envers les animaux sauvages apprivoisés ou tenus en captivité.

Des décrets en Conseil d'Etat déterminent les mesures propres à assurer la protection de ces animaux contre les mauvais traitements ou les utilisations abusives et à leur éviter des souffrances lors des manipulations inhérentes aux diverses techniques d'élevage, de parcage, de transport et d'abattage des animaux.

Il en est de même pour ce qui concerne les expériences biologiques médicales et scientifiques qui doivent être limitées aux cas de stricte nécessité.

Quelques définitions

L'animal de compagnie est l'animal détenu ou destiné à être détenu par l'homme pour son agrément.

Le refuge est un établissement à but non lucratif géré par une fondation ou association de protection des animaux désignée à cet effet par le préfet, accueillant et prenant en charge des animaux soit en provenance d'une fourrière, soit donnés par leur propriétaire.

Article L. 214-6 du Code rural

I. - On entend par animal de compagnie tout animal détenu ou destiné à être détenu par l'homme pour son agrément.

II. - On entend par refuge un établissement à but non lucratif géré par une fondation ou une association de protection des animaux désignée à cet effet par le préfet, accueillant et prenant en charge des animaux soit en provenance d'une fourrière à l'issue des délais de garde fixés aux articles L. 211-24 et L. 211-25, soit donnés par leur propriétaire.

III. - On entend par élevage de chiens ou de chats l'activité consistant à détenir des femelles reproductrices et donnant lieu à la vente d'au moins deux portées d'animaux par an.

IV. - La gestion d'une fourrière ou d'un refuge, l'élevage, l'exercice à titre commercial des activités de vente, de transit ou de garde, d'éducation, de dressage et de présentation au public de chiens et de chats :

1° Font l'objet d'une déclaration au préfet ;

2° Sont subordonnés à la mise en place et à l'utilisation d'installations conformes aux règles sanitaires et de protection animale pour ces animaux ;

3° Ne peuvent s'exercer que si au moins une personne, en contact direct avec les animaux, possède un certificat de capacité attestant de ses connaissances relatives aux besoins biologiques, physiologiques, comportementaux et à l'entretien des animaux de compagnie. Ce certificat est délivré par l'autorité administrative, qui statue au vu des connaissances ou de la formation, et notamment des diplômes ou de l'expérience professionnelle d'au moins trois ans des postulants.

Les mêmes dispositions s'appliquent pour l'exercice à titre commercial des activités de vente et de présentation au public des autres animaux de compagnie d'espèces domestiques.

Les établissements où s'exerce le toilettage des chiens et des chats sont soumis aux dispositions figurant aux 1° et 2° ci-dessus.

V. - Les personnes qui, sans exercer les activités mentionnées au III, détiennent plus de neuf chiens sevrés doivent mettre en place et utiliser des installations conformes aux règles sanitaires et de protection animale pour ces animaux.

VI. - Seules les associations de protection des animaux reconnues d'utilité publique ou les fondations ayant pour objet la protection des animaux peuvent gérer des établissements dans lesquels les actes vétérinaires sont dispensés gratuitement aux animaux des personnes dépourvues de ressources suffisantes.

La gestion de ces établissements est subordonnée à une déclaration auprès du préfet du département où ils sont installés.

Les conditions sanitaires et les modalités de contrôle correspondantes sont fixées par décret en Conseil d'Etat.

L'intérêt à agir des associations de protection animale.

Toute association régulièrement déclarée depuis au moins cinq ans à la date des faits et dont l'objet statutaire est la défense et la protection des animaux peut exercer les droits reconnus à la partie civile en ce qui concerne les infractions réprimant les sévices graves ou actes de cruauté et les mauvais traitements envers les animaux ainsi que les atteintes volontaires à la vie d'un animal prévus par le Code pénal (article 2-13 du Code de procédure pénale).

Article 2-13 du Code de procédure pénale

Toute association régulièrement déclarée depuis au moins cinq ans à la date des faits et dont l'objet statutaire est la défense et la protection des animaux peut exercer les droits reconnus à la partie civile en ce qui concerne les infractions réprimant les sévices graves ou actes de cruauté et les mauvais traitements envers les animaux ainsi que les atteintes volontaires à la vie d'un animal prévus par le code pénal.

June, I am actually struggling to find much legislation concerned with domestic animal welfare apart from a vague "shall be given sufficient food, water and shelter and shall not be caused extreme stress".

Most of the legislation regulates farming, transport and slaughter and references to wildlife including seals and the fur trade. This is what the Europa summaries of EU legislation mainly focuses on. http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/food_safety/animal_welfare/index_en.htm

Andrew, I'm not entirely sure of the relevance of 'some immigrants being more concerned with life back home'. Yes, I too often hear comments from some of the British in my area. But I did not arrive in France from the UK. I have not been there for many years and my rescue animals are from two different countries so I personally am not overly concerned with 'life back home'. However, I did choose the above UK article about Puppy Awareness because it is written in the language I speak. It could have been from any newspaper in the USA, Australia or other English speaking country. But it brought attention to an issue which concerns me, namely how aware of the animal's background are people really when looking for a new pet. Are they even interested?

Dear Alan Andrews,

Thank you for your reply.

I was pleased to hear you were not "suggesting that we should only concern ourselves with animals who live in the same country as we do". Unfortunately your post saying "What the heck are dog owners in France doing concerning themselves with doggy issues in the UK?" is not supportive of a general concern for dogs, or any other animals, wherever we happen to be living.

As a former sociologist you should be well aware that immigrants, from any country, to any other country, will always be concerned about their "birth country". It is human nature. As you should also be aware, immigrants almost always leave family behind in their original country so of course they care about what is happening in that country. It does not mean they are not engaged in their "new country". From my post you will have seen that I am totally engrossed in doing whatever I can for neglected, abandoned or abused animals in France. However, this is extremely difficult given the lack of information to which I referred in my first post.

I am aware that cats now needf to be identified by law. Yes, both my cats and my dog are all microchipped and, indeed have Pet Passports. My dog visits UK with me to see my family and the cats are Pet Passported so that, in the event of my dying, they will go to family in UK.

I think it is highly unlikely that many cats will be "identified" as required by law. People will just not pay for this. In case you are interested, both cats and my dog are spayed/neutered too.

I like the sound of your idea for a "Certificate of Capacity". What do you envisage these being? I would be interested to know.

You offered your help and I would very much appreciate it if you could tell me what the laws in France are for keeping a dog. I referred to this in my last post but nobody, as you will see from the post, has ever provided me with this information. I sincerely hope you are able to do this for me because it would make life much easier in trying to ensure that dogs, here in France, are properly treated.

Kind regards, June Mackenzie

Dear June Mackenzie,

I am not suggesting that 'we should only concern ourselves with animals who live in the same county as we do...', and from the way your post continues it is clear that you care about dogs here in France.

I was for many years a sociologist, mainly studying South Asian immigrants into the UK. I was continually hearing people who had 'settled' in the UK, more concerned with life back 'home' then with the life in their adopted country. I just think that judging from what I hear from many Brits in France, I am witnessing the same phenomena. Perhaps from Brits, who if they were still in the UK, would decry immigrants who looked back wards to their old home.

Your post makes my point about dogs for me, namely we need to engage with issues here. There are rules and regulations, that you may not have come across, particularly in relation to the breeding of puppies; I am thinking of the need for the Certificate of Capacity. Also there are good regulations about the identification of dogs and now cats. Are your cats micro-chipped? Most in France are not although they now need to be. Please keep in touch, and if I can help at any time I would be happy to do so.

Dear Alan Andrews, I am very concerned that you should ask "What the heck are dog owners in Frence doing concerning with doggy issues in the UK?" Are you suggesting that we should only concern ourselves with animals who live in the same county as we do? If so, shame on you, there are animals all over the world who are badly treated and, as dog (or any animal) lovers we should, surely, be concerned about them all.

I live in France (have done for 10 years). I have had great difficulty in finding out from any person or authority the actual LAW regarding dogs and their care (or otherwise). I only know the following: apparently dogs must only be kept on a chain of the correct length, they should be fed and not unduly beaten. There is no requirement to walk them, provide them with any stimulation or allow them a comfortable bed or inside space when the temperatures are even, at least minus 25 degrees or over 35 degrees (and not even then). I am appalled at the treatment of dogs I witness on a daily basis and have repeatedly complained to the Mairie in more than one commune I have lived in. I have reported to the Bridget Bardot Foundation but they were sympathetic but ineffectual. I have rescued and re-homed one dog and 11 abandoned kittens. Having used up all my friends I took the last tiny abandoned and starving kitten to the vet for advice. I was told that if I could not keep it (I have one dog, two rescued cats and four hens and cannot afford the feed and vets bills for any more - I am a basic pensioner) the best thing to do was to "leave it to take it's chances", the second choice was to have it "put down" which they would do for free. I was strongly advised that, under no circumstances should I take it to the SPA, where it would be put with older cats, overcrowded and subject to diseases which would ensure a lingering death. Great choices. I will vist your site after posting this but, please do not criticize people who care about animals who happen to live in UK.

Dear Val,

You write 'I didn't post the discussion with the intention of promoting the Kennel Club. ' Having read many of your posts I assure you I did not think you did.

I think our concerns mirror each others. However, there is a need to debate the role of the dog breeder more widely, and perhaps there are some things here in France that the UK can learn from, while there are also some structural issues here in France that need addressing. Sorry no time to develop this now, but I will after next weekend when I get back from the first field trials of the season.

I agree with you 100% that the Kennel Club is failing to discourage breeders by allowing them to register dogs they know have been interbred in an attempt to exaggerate physical traits. The various breeds of course have their own natural characteristics, and I would emphasize 'natural', such as curly tails, wrinkled faces etc. Is it the fault of the KC both for setting their standards too high and allowing registration of these dogs as pedigrees despite their parentage, the fault of the breeders for trying to create the ''perfect' dog by interbreeding brother/sister, mother/son either for competitions or for sale, or the fault of those dog owners who actively encourage the practice by wanting 'designer dogs'. Or all of the above?

Of course, the KC refute the allegation:

"Any dog may be shown but it is up to the judge to decide if it fits the breed standard. It is when characteristics become exaggerated that health problems can occur. This is something that the Kennel Club does not encourage and actively educates people, including judges, against doing as part of its Fit For Function, Fit For Life campaign."

You are not alone in your belief that some of the breeds are now unfit for purpose.

"The welfare and quality of life of many pedigree dogs is seriously compromised by established breeding practices for appearance, driven primarily by the rules and requirements of competitive dog showing and pedigree dog registration." (Mark Evans, Chief Vet RSPCA)

As you rightly point out, this controversy should stimulate thought. It is an issue too often overlooked, particularly by people wanting to own a specific breed of dog or a designer dog. Which ties in nicely with your penultimate paragraph. I didn't post the discussion with the intention of promoting the Kennel Club. It was to promote puppy awareness generally, to think about where a puppy may have come from before you buy it, to look into its history if possible and not to encourage those breeders who are in it for a quick buck and care zilch about the welfare of their animals.

I will say to start with that this post is intended to provoke in order to stimulate thought and debate. Firstly, the UK Kennel Club has a lot to feel guilty about in relation to dog welfare. As the guardian of breed 'standards' it has been complicit in allowing the breeding of pedigree dogs to exaggerate certain physical characteristics which have led to deformities and other health problems in a large number of breeds. This had led to many breeds being unfit for the purpose they were originally bred for. For example the modern show spaniel looks nothing like the spaniel shown in Stubbs's famous painting.Likewise the modern show Labrador is far to big to carry out a day's work in the shooting field. In addition, although the KC encourages health screening, it will still register litters where a line is known to have parents that are carriers of a genetic defect such as PRA.

Secondly, some years ago the KC bought in an 'Accredited Breeder' scheme, in principle it was a very worthy effort, and we were members of it. Alas,it was poorly policed. It only had one inspector for the whole of the UK. The scheme has now been extended, but I am not convinced it has any real teeth to monitor and control bad practice. If the Kennel Club had any real concern about dogs in general, rather than on the, (yes I admit it, 'elitism') of pedigree dogs, it would have campaigned for a national dog register for all dogs years ago.

Now for a different tack. What the heck are dog owners in France doing concerning themselves with doggy issues in the UK? Surely our focus should be on the work, or lack of it, of such organisations as the SCC or SEIV?

Finally, come and visit us any time. Alan Andrews STRATHUMMEL GUNDOGS.

excellent advice Valerie, same applie the opposite way around, with potential adoptants! If they are reluctant to let you do a pre-visite or post-visit, then alarm bells should ring!