Question for technophiles

ps I have used Raspberry Pi’s for remote monitoring of building fabric performance at low cost, (ie logging the temperature and humidity at different places in old stone walls!) People also use them for weather stations… if you have a need, such as a remote security camera, or a robot, there will be a project which someone has published with step by step explanations on how to do it at minimal cost! They are a brilliant learning tool for ados…

That was certainly the case with earlier marques but more recent technologies have eliminated most of the noise issue delivering a fairly consistent signal across the house wiring network. IIRC, a star topology (of the type used in France) is less susceptible than a ring main where fridges, freezers and other noise producing appliances deprecate the signal. I can’t find a suitable reference to back up that statement but it seems logical to my way of thinking. Cat5e and shielded cat6a dedicated structured networks are certainly more reliable @JoCo aludes to.

You have all addled my poor technophobe brain now…I need ro go and have a drink and find a new dictionary for this strange language you are speaking.

But thank you all as I think the answer may be in this thread once I manage to understand it! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

We use CPL’s (power line adapters) with some success, occasionally we have to restart them and pair them again.
Our latest purchase was a wifi extender/repeater from Orange (branded Orange) - I have to say it connected to the Livebox and then with the help of an app it suggested the best place to put it. Happily that was in the corner of the room upstairs we use as an office. It has solved our on going issue with the wireless printer that we were experiencing and it certainly assists our super fast 5mbs broadband :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you have thick stone walls a WiFi mesh system will give coverage throughout the house. This works with Bluetooth devices They are not cheap, around 150€

Wifi mesh system!! Mesh to me is the the stuff they use to repair hernia’s…or pop in the bottom of a trench to strengthen concrete.

Anyway, thank you one and all. I decided to try simplest solution proposed first, so wandered around with phone and laptop to see if there was anywhere I could get a strong enough signal. And voila!

2 Likes