Question For The SF Plumbing & Heating Intelligencia

At the moment, I have a water pressure regulator valve on the supply side of the water heater I have installed in our house.
Given that the heater is rated for 6 Bar and I have a pressure regulator downstream of the water meter holding it all at just over 3 Bar, do I need a regulator on the water heater?

Your group de security should take care of any additional pressure.

1 Like

Like @NotALot, we also have a regulator valve - situated just where the water supply arrives in the house. It was put there nearly 30 years ago when the first chauffe-eau was installed as the latter was constantly dripping (as far as I can remember). The chauffe-eau was replaced earlier this year. Are you saying @corona that it would now be ok to remove the pressure regulator? (sorry if this is just repeating what you said but I like to be really sure!)

Our water arrives at a very high pressure and the Plumber fitted a reducer/regulator call it what you will… to reduce the incoming pressure to normal/acceptable for the various water thingies we have in the house.
This thingy is placed inside the cave, where the mains comes in and after fighting its way through the reducer/regulator… it meanders all over…

So far, we’ve not needed individual thingies… the one serves all.

1 Like

That’s what we have, I think, @stella . It was installed because of the chauffe-eau rather than anything else but the first noticeable effect was that the formerly reasonable shower became feeble… :roll_eyes:

Oh my… that’s annoying…
too easy to be wise after the event, but it’s a pity your plumber didn’t come back and sort it out…

1 Like

Having two pressure reducers in series is fairly pointless. 3 bar is sufficient pressure for domestic water use. Having one immdediatly after the meter is a good idea as it takes pressure away from all your joints & appliances.

2 Likes

Testing is next step, find someone with a pressure gauge if there isnt one on your pressure reducing valve.
3 bar is normal after the reduction and would be plenty for a shower. Maybe they wound down a bit too much

1 Like

Certainly our plumber did, but he just came back and adjusted it.

On another occasion, we did have a problem with our regulator when the mains water to our part of the village had to be turned off for major repairs. Unfortunately when the water came back on again muck must have come down through the pipes and jammed in the regulator. The water in the cottage where we had guests staying slowed to a dribble. Our guests were very good natured about it - describing trying to stand under the two holes in the shower head which were dripping. Our wonderful plumber came out and fixed it on a Sunday.

3 Likes

I had that happen when SAUR fitted another irrigation point for field between us and the main road. I’d replaced the ancient pressure reduction valve and anti-pollution filter recently which had greatly improved matters, so I knew it wasn’t our side when the flow dropped right off suddenly. Eventually got SAUR to send a technician out and there was barely a trickle coming out of our side of the water meter. He removed the meter and the supply side of it was clogged so badly with debris and crud that he didn’t even attempt to clean it and just fitted a new meter.

Lo and behold, normal flow was instantly restored.

2 Likes