Quotes To Live By

That’s really good to hear, Stella; and long may the “borrowed time” continue.

Jane I didn’t been to sound pompous or superior. I just think picking yourself up again is something we all have to do so very often. I don’t consider myself an amazing example of winning by any means. I hope I haven’t offended you.

I saw this on FB, Not exactly a quote but the answer could be. Now Mr Johnson have ever on purpose or by accident actually ever told the truth, ever ?

Thanks Lee @rolyat and your reply is a tonic!

Opens my eyes and my mind to your experience of defeat, after you have made such an effort to win against a well-matched opponent in a highly competitive sport.

I truly admire you for your willingness to put yourself to the test under properly refereed conditions, and commiserate with you when you are eventually vanquished, but never (I feel sure) destroyed.

That makes absolute and inspirational sense. :+1::grin:

May each day continue to be a gift for you both.

I just don’t think of life as winning.
It is a challenge and sometimes it goes well and sometimes not so well.
By the way I am not offended.

Point of teaching is to bring out the best in people, not to get the better of other people.

Isn’t it?

No idea mate, didn’t spend much time at school.

2 Likes

That’s very nice of you, Peter.

I do appreciate that to most, my quote may seem irrelevant and trivial in that it may not be considered a “life quote” but, as you know, for me the relevance of it is on the tennis court…and has been for 68 of my 75 years; I am one of those strange people who has always been fiercely competitive on the tennis court (and that isn’t about to change!) but less so in the rest of my life. We all have our passions.

Thank you for making the time to write those words.

I wish you well. :blush::tennis:

It says “be kind” . I see no harm in that.

1 Like

My favourite is “The Pale Blue Dot “ by Carl Sagan. Too long to reproduce the whole thing but it’s so relevant . Perhaps just the final paragraph of the oft quoted excerpt says enough:-
“It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we’ve ever known.”

1 Like

I don’t know who originated this, but a good rule to live by:
“Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today; If you do it today and you like it, you can do it again tomorrow.”

3 Likes

I’d never have guessed it, Peter, you’re as sharp as a razor! :joy::+1:

Glad I didn’t go too far for you Jane. I think defining winning would have to be a whole new post !!

IF YOU HAVE AN INQUIRING MIND…

…ALWAYS BE THE ONE THAT LOOKS ON THE WORLD AS FIT FOR CHANGE AND ON YOURSELF AS AN INSTRUMENT FOR CHANGE.

OTHERWISE WHAT ARE YOU HERE FOR?

IF THE WORLD IS PERFECTLY ALL RIGHT THE WAY IT IS YOU HAVE NO PLACE IN IT.

With apologies to J Bronowski

Another one with often misquoted attribution - but worthy sentiments regardless.

5 Likes

Groucho Marx had it sussed, he said:

“I would never become a member of a club to which I was a member” !

2 Likes

I thought it was:

1 Like

Isn’t that saying the same thing ?

No