Raves are a bit has-been now ... no?

At least they’ve got something going for them then.

2 Likes

I was at college in Oxford (not Cambridge….just to make that very clear) when the whole rave thing broke out. It all started in Oxfordshire…or there abouts.

There is a 90´s Inspector Morse episode about rave parties/ecstasy and we were asked at college to go and be extras at the rave party they organized to film the programme.

Didn’t go because the music is crap. Prefered the stone roses.

I always said that the theme tune from Dallas’ would sound good if you were out of your head on ecstasy.

In the United Kingdom within clubs, warehouses and free-parties, first in Manchester in the mid-1980s and then later in London. In the late 1980s, the word “rave” was adopted to describe the subculture that grew out of the acid house movement.
Raves have been on the go in London since the mid 1950’s, mostly in bohemian Soho, rave in the 60’s described any wild party as Keith Moon, Clapton etc were self described ravers.

2 Likes

Precisely, no-one can say which was the first rave as they sprung up like mushrooms all over the place. First as acid house parties, and then grew. I don’t think Oxford can claim to be the starting point.

1 Like

When raves started going rural…i.e away from Madchester and London warehouses I think it all started in and around Oxfordshire. It was my era…but it didn’t get the music one bit.

In fact, in my class at college was a guy that became. (and I guess still is) a very famous DJ. I wish I could remember his name. James something.

Raves are synonymous of being held rural. Like we are seeing in Indre.

ALBF around St Avertin?

1 Like

What Raves ?

You should pay attention , they are hardly advertised in the press.

Not my thing my dear……advertised or not.

Mick Jaggar lives not far from here.

And the story goes, that Mick Jaggar and David Bowie got chucked out of a bar in Amboise once because they were dressed too rough and were letting the place down. Obviously the owner had no idea who they were.

David Bowie dressed rough??? Never! :grin:

3 Likes

A “Pop-Festival” was what the organized thingies were called in my wild youth… :+1: :wink: :rofl:

2 Likes

Druids?

2 Likes

Me too and at the same time. Which college were you at?

3 Likes

That’s nothing. Sir Keir Starmer was at school with Fatboy Slim (a fact which is omitted from most reports about either).

1 Like

OCFE……

Just around the corner from the jail. Which was convient for those who went there Lol.

I can beat that.

When I was kid growing up in a tiny Wiltshire village in the 80´s the tiny local pub was frequented by Reg Presley…who lived just up the road.

Who is more famous ?

1 Like

Genuine question, who is Reg Presley?

3 Likes

Wiki is your friend:

Reginald Maurice Ball, known professionally as Reg Presley, was an English singer and songwriter. He was the lead singer with the 1960s rock and roll band the Troggs, whose hits included “Wild Thing” and “With a Girl Like You”.

3 Likes

The British embassy cricket team used to play cricket matches on the grounds of Mick J château, not sure if they still do.
No rave’s but a few good pi/ups

1 Like

His chateau is in Sologne which I think…IMHO……is one of the most beautiful places in France.