Re-posted content

If you copy and paste text from an article that would be an infringement of copyright but pasting a link to the item is absolutely fine, we (and the rest of the www) encourage it in fact as it helps with site SEO and search engine indexing. If you paste a link on a line of its own it will be nicely displayed by our software too.

Like this;

In as much as Wikipedia can be considered a reliable source of information it has some discussion on the issue. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_aspects_of_hyperlinking_and_framing

From memory linking to a site’s hope page, or a complete article within a site will not cause any copyright problems. “Deep linking” some resource on the site, such as an image, and embedding it in a web page so that its origin is masked might well lead to trouble.

1 Like

Yes, if the frame does not require a click through to read more than a snippet from the host then I would probably consider it to be an infringement.

Thank you James - However, being a little technophobic l need step by step instructions. What to l actually copy from the source website that will allow me to paste the article/information of interest whilst still opening the whole source site. For example in your DaVinci piece when l click on it l get full access to the France 24 live news site.

You simply copy the url of the page and make sure it is on a line of its own

Using this page as an example it would be this bit;

1 Like

To me personally, I enjoy the site for what “has” and “is”. People of various walks of life, sharing either their expertise / stories / experiences; and is a mine of information
People have different views to what “shakes their boat”…and if they post links to the stories…if find .

1. It is often useful, because people look at new in different places that i would; and would not necessarily see these stories if they did not put a link.
  2. If i don’t fancy the story i move on to the next…or go and find some info on a subject that i had just thought of.
  3. Personally i prefer the whole link…to a cut and paste of something specific. This is because, without reading the whole story, sometimes you do not see the correct context… The media has a habit, depending on their political flavour; of hiding content that can give relevant context… as they like to push people’s buttons first.

When I actually bought newspapers, I thought some sections were tosh…but just moved on to what i liked.
and in the same way here; sure we can skip pages without slagging off the “mystic meg” section… that was an example ie not to be taken literally.

4 Likes

Linking and liability therefor is not as simple as might have been made out here for a number of reasons, one of which being that the site, whilst being in English, can arguably be deemed to fall under French law (not least with regard to the people identified as the administrators).

For an overview of current principles and case law, I can recommend the following website article.

Note that even this article is quite old now, and case law has evolved since then, most notably coming down from the CJEU.