Ready Brexit

Jon Watson -- I am sure that you are under a misunderstanding. I suppose you are saying/claiming that the UK pays France £3000/year for healthcare?

This is most certainly not true at all. The payments for healthcare is based on EU regulations 883/2004 and EU 987/2009 concerning Social Security for those persons who 'carry' an S1 formula. For most countries in the EU the financial support which otherwise the Resident State would find for its own nationals, (or those who come under the CPAM through cotisations), for healthcare is transferred to the Dept of Health in London item by item via electronic means. I was sufficiently interested to seek a freedom of information request relating to my own dossier on this. The DoH was extremely helpful and sent me by recorded delivery a package detailing all payments to the French State for my health care for a period of a year. For example each time I visited a doctor a sum of approx 13 euros was requested by the CPAM from the DoH. It is that particular. This has everything to do with the EU and there is no current bilateral treaty. There was one drawn up in 1948 on mutual social security support but although I have sought to learn whether it is still 'on the statute list' I have no information. I had asked Sir Roger Gale to investigate and I believe he did without success.

There are about 69,000 UK pensioners in France who are supported in this manner. In the UK there are about 85 French pensioners being supported in a similar way.

Somewhere on the net are the (relatively recent) minutes of a discussion in the House of Lords on the current costs of this arrangement. Not unaturally more goes from the UK to France than in the other direction. As to why it didn't show up in your FoI I assume that it's a matter of counting heads rather individuals.