Recipes With Cooked Oysters

(Helen Aurelius-Haddock) #1

Unfortunately, I can’t eat raw seafood.
I adore oysters, and wonder if anyone has any recipes containing them cooked?
Please post up if you do.
I already have the Mark Hix Beef and Oyster Pie, which I will try when the weather cools down.
I believe Oysters Rockerfeller is a dish of baked oysters with Pernod and Spinach - any recipes out there for this? Tried and tested if possible.

(Catharine Higginson) #2

Yum…

(Christopher Marley) #3

Where I live in the Carolina coast, we take bushels and roast them over a wood fire until they just open. Then we’ll spread them out on wooden tables with soda crackers, cocktail sauce and vinager.

(Chrissie Ott) #4

That’s excellent news! I love them raw but I’m sure I could do serious self-damage with an oyster knife so I leave opening to others!!

(Catharine Higginson) #5

Yes I did them like that and they opened - it was partly because we were staying somewhere with no means of opening them - necessity being the mother of invention and all…!!

(Chrissie Ott) #6

I’m wondering now… is it possible to cook oysters like mussels, ie in the shell, without opening them first?

(Catharine Higginson) #7

That sounds delicious. Will be trying it!

I have also cooked them in exactly the same way that I do mussels, leek, onion sweated in butter, oysters and a bit of creme fraiche, chopped parsley or coriander depending on mood. Was v good!

(Christopher Marley) #8

I’m not sure if anyone looks at these sites so heregoes:
1 tsp clerery salt
2 cups milk
1 tbs worchester sauce
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp tabasco
1/4 cup sherry
2 doz oysters with liquid.
butter
mix celery salt, worchester oyster paprick and oyster with the liquiid in a kettle heat until the edges get curly add the milk bring to a boil remove from teh heat and add the tabasco and sherry split into 4 and serve with a lump of butter in each bowl.

(Christopher Marley) #9

Have you tried oyster stew?

(Chrissie Ott) #10

I’ve been thinking about this and I have a horrid feeling they were actually mussels! Still, I’m sure it would work with oysters as well. :slight_smile:

(Helen Aurelius-Haddock) #11

That sounds wonderful - Especially the tempura batter.

(Chrissie Ott) #12

Hi Helen… I don’t have a recipe but many years ago I had oysters deep-fried in a very light, tempura-style batter in Wheelers, London. Absolutely scrummy!