Reconnection to Electricity Supply

Our house soon to be renovated has been disconnected by ERDF for about 3 years. To commence works we need to get the house back on grid. Does anyone have any idea how much this is likely to be? Do you know if we have to pay for a temporary supply or if we can get back on full supply before the renovation? The electrics are very old and definitely do not comply with current regs so I am assuming they won't switch us back on until the rewire is done.

The wiring in the house will be removed and replaced completely as part of the renovation, we'll need a new meter and a new tableau and both will be relocated.

Reconnecting Supply (Temporary or full) - Assuming ERDF?

Moving & Replacing Meter - EDF?

Moving Tableau - Electrician

We understand we'll need a certificate of conformity for the electrics and I wonder if anyone can tell me is this something the French Qualified Electrician can do or is it some other specialist that comes out?

Finally, do we have to have the obligatory central rose to meet regs or can we have our own choice of lighting in our house? I query this as I don't plan a central ceiling rose in any room...

All help and experience here much appreciated.


No option on TV and telephone/internet points in every "liveable" room - new regulations. No option on door bell. Option on fire/security alarms, but if you have them installed via the electrical circuit it is very expensive as you have to have the whole shooting match (separate box etc.) and there are cheaper battery wireless options from UK. There are also strict regulations on the heights of the switches/sockets etc. now.

When we renovated a house in the village to let out as a rental property, electricans that quoted all said that TV + telephone points were required in all rooms so that is what we put in but no-one ever showed us the standard that imposed it.

If you are running RJ45 cables, then these could also be used for the telephone points by a future owner.

Can't see why you would have to install TV and telephone points Suzanne. Surely that's optional? The only reason I can see for installing telephone points that you don't intend to use is that in the event you ever sold the house the buyers would undoubtedly expect them to be installed.

We are hoping the electrician can do the bare minimum e.g. new fuseboard and all prises on 2 floors but we don't intend to put tv or telephone points in as we'll be using RJ45 and we use internet for it all. Do we HAVE to have these to pass the consuel test? I will ask our electrician but would be great to have your experiences too.

Thanks for comments so far, good stuff to know - significantly lower costs than our architect's quantity surveyor has quoted!

My husband renovated and rewired our older property himself 15 years ago and got the certificate after a couple of minor adjustments but regulations have changed and tightened up considerably I believe. Then again we are now doing a new build where the regulations could be stricter - not sure why they would be though!

Our present house, which was a wreck of an old farm/bar building had an ancient electrical system served by a 3 phase electric supply. I re-wired the house using a modern fuse board & asked EDF to change the incoming supply to single phase & connect to my board. They did this at no cost to me with no questions or problems, mind you it was about 6 years ago & maybe things have changed since then.

The best thing you can do is either put everything into the hands of a good local electrician. The electrician we are using lets us pay for the materials he orders on his account at the merchants so we get his traders discount. We bought a coffret de chantier which cost over €300 then the ERDF put the coffret where they wanted it (on an existing post) not where we wanted it (closer to the site). They cost another €200+. We then had a contract which had to be renewed annually (with has to be justified) and this year, because we returning to the UK temporarily the contract was terminated and ERDF cut the cables to the box and left them dangling!
An electrician will know exactly what you have to have in your property in each room (eg internet, tv, door bell) but will also be able to put the lighting, sockets etc. where and however you want. No problem just having wall lights. When the whole project is finished he will get the inspector in who will then give a certificate for the works. If anything is not correct it must be rectified and an increased charge will be made for reinspection. Only when certified will the EDF let you have full supply electricity to the property. The electrician will also be guaranteeing the work for 10 years.

yep, you need an attestation consuel once the house has been re-wired, speak to your electrician who will know who can carry out the certification, but you may be able to get a temporary supply to a tableau de chantier to get you going ;-)

EDF will want to establish a temporary supply through a coffret de chantier. Beware though they don't give much time on the contract and are a bit sniffy about renewing the contract more than once.

Just had thought, Suzanne, you may have to get the contractor to ask for a temporary supply but EDF will be able to tell you.

I'll be brave and contact EDF then...Darren wanted to take an angle grinder to some iron the other day but we have no power and his power pack wasn't strong enough...I said I'd try to find out what to do before he goes out getting a generator. I've read something on the ERDF page which says it can take 2 months to get back on grid...that is scary! Will try EDF on Monday.

Suzanne you need to talk to your local EDF people but I'm pretty sure they will reconnect you if only so the workmen can work!