Reezocar s/h car buying in Germany

The mechanic I bought my NSU TTS from in 1972 was a great Corvair enthusiast. From the limited research I’ve done in spare moments over the years I think Nader exaggerated the problem.

Though IMHO the rear swinging axel was probably the quickest route to the ditch for the uninitiated (I built a soapbox with one as kid and I certainly hit a lot of walls). The thing is a swinging axel in a Triumph Herald is dangerous but a swinging axel in a Porsche 356 is an endearing quirk (but no less lethal) :sweat_smile: Denis Jenkinson (Jenks) describes seesawing through the bends on his 356 across Europe as a GP journalist. .

BTW, I’ve see a few Tatra 87s in museums, a run in one would be a hoot,

The BMW museam in Munich.
They also do childrens’ parties.

The Lamborghini museum and factory at Sant’Agata doesn’t have children’s parties, but they do have sense of humour.

1 Like

To my knowledge Fiat only ever made 2000cc versions in the prototype Passo Lungo 2+1 extended version, I know SA had some weird engines cars like the Corrina/Sierra V8’s, did the X19 have 2l cars there :thinking:

Fiat 128 Rally coupé : had one of those, great fun to drive :smiley:

1 Like

Only ever saw one X1/9 in SA - it must have been imported and they’d probably have struggled on the hills, which are longer and steeper than those in Europe. Even driving on the motorways around Cape Town, I thought 3 litres was probably the minimum for maintaining a legit 120kph. There’s an on-ramp at Observatory where you join a busy motorway in the outside lane going up a steep climb on Table Mountain where everyone’s doing 120 plus!

Fiat didn’t put 2l engines in the X1/9, some enthusiasts did - there were several options - here’s a slightly mesmeric video of a 2l X1/9 at the Nuremberg Ring videihttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpF9P0o5wO8