Ref**m contract

Only to vote, not to become an MP. :smiley:

2 Likes

Grant ’ Shapps’s use of the names Michael Green, Corinne Stockheath and Sebastian Fox attracted media attention in 2012. He denied having used a pseudonym after entering parliament and, in 2014, threatened legal action against a constituent who had stated on Facebook that he had. In February 2015, he told LBC Radio: “I don’t have a second job and have never had a second job while being an MP. End of story.”[30]

In March 2015, Shapps said he had made an error in his interview with LBC and was “mistaken over the dates” of his outside employment. He said he had “over-firmly denied” having a second job. (Wikip.)

Hadn’t previously encountered the phrase ‘over-firmly denied’.

Anyhow no matter who he was the bugger’s gone now!

What a t055er.

1 Like

There were some ‘paper’ candidates.

Surely the Electoral Commission should be investigating this.

Electoral Commission has said it’s the Met Police’s remit as it is fraud.

Jo Maugham from the Good Law Project said a couple of law firms are looking into the allegations too.

Private Eye wrote a piece confirming the guy who used the AI photo is real, but they don’t say if they spoke to him face to face and verified if the photo bears a resemblance, or on the phone in which case it could’ve been anyone!
Personally I think the AI image looks uncannily like Musk!

Is it a coincidence these ‘paper’ candidates with no history, photo, social media footprint etc. were placed in constituencies with zero chance of gaining anything except increasing Reform’s spending limit and vote share?

2 Likes

It’s probably a lot safer to use virtual candidates who cannot have a history of saying inappropriate things in places where they could not win, yet need a presence. And a £500 deposit is very little to lose if no-one votes for the fake candidate. Perhaps the time when we considered politicians to be inherently honourable and honest will now legally come to an end.

2 Likes

Or we make manifesto pledges legally binding for the leader of the party that issues said pledges.

Or put incompetent and/or corrupt politicians in jail.

1 Like

I assume that you mean we should legislate to keep them honest rather than just accept they are corrupt and let them get on with it?

Corruption, yes - mere (well meaning) incompetence seems a step too far though.

I had in mind, for example, legal checks that candidates were real and without a criminal past.

2 Likes

A day in the stocks having rotten fruit and veg flung at them might get them to pull their socks up.

4 Likes

Tempting, I agree

I could get behind that. Plus they should have to spend a week living on that Bibby Stockholm boat, with Big Brother like cameras filming them 24x7 so we can watch them suffer.

1 Like

If you were listening to the Today programme you would have heard tge Chief Inspector of Prisons giving a damning review of the Harmsworth Detention Centre.
He said it was the worst place he had ever visited.
Inmates openly rolling joints, people who were clearly mentally ill and should not have been there at all [no different from many other prisons there] and only 30% of the people detained were eventually recommended for deportation.
He said it was the worst waste of taxpayers money, in that respect, that he had ever seen.